Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 5:52:09 AM EDT
This is a thought experiment until I get the cash.

I will be modifying a 20" A2 to be an SPR type rifle soon. I'm keeping the carry handle. I've perused the Optics forum enough to know that the ACOG is very well thought of.

If it's an ACOG, which reticle would you advise? I want it to work from 10 feet out to 300 yards.

If it's not an ACOG, what would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance,

jim
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I will be modifying a 20" A2 to be an SPR type rifle soon. I'm keeping the carry handle. I've perused the Optics forum enough to know that the ACOG is very well thought of.

If it's an ACOG, which reticle would you advise? I want it to work from 10 feet out to 300 yards.

Thanks in advance,

jim

Jim,
tough question, what have you shot with the most? and what are you feelings on those optics?

While the ACOG seems to win the best 'all around' optic award, working with an acog within 10feet to even 50 feet will be time consuming to train on.

Have you researched the Horus Talon at all? its around $1000 (not honeslty sure) and is a variable 1-4xmag..
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance,

jim

Jim,
tough question, what have you shot with the most? and what are you feelings on those optics?

While the ACOG seems to win the best 'all around' optic award, working with an acog within 10feet to even 50 feet will be time consuming to train on.

Have you researched the Horus Talon at all? its around $1000 (not honeslty sure) and is a variable 1-4xmag..

Ha

That's the rub: I forgot to mention, I have NO experience with optics at all beyond non magnified red dots (EOTech mostly, a little Aimpoint).

I have not researched anything in particular- just enough to tell me that the ACOG is a popular optic and that it's tough, which I'd like any optic I purchase to be.

Thanks for your reply

jim
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If you just need 300yds, it may as well be an IOR 1.1-4 or an Eo/aimpoint 3X mag combo.

For an SPR designed to be used in that role:

Leupold M3MRT 3-9x32 or a shepherd if you can get something that will track with the round you are using.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you just need 300yds, it may as well be an IOR 1.1-4 or an Eo/aimpoint 3X mag combo.

For an SPR designed to be used in that role:

Leupold M3MRT 3-9x32 or a shepherd if you can get something that will track with the round you are using.

I figured 300 since beyond that I'd be switching to an M1a or something.

IOR is in the mix too. I don't know a lot about optics, and I have no way of really finding out other than what I see here. I was thinking about the ACOG primarily because 1: they're tough (I'm not hard on stuff, I just want quality for my money that won't break in the .00000000000004% chance I drop it) and 2: because I dug the red triangle reticle.

I'm open to anything. The Leupold I'll have to look in to. The MR/T interests me.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been looking at the
Acog TA11
Acog TA01
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I think for out to 300-350 yards ACOG AT01 would be good.
I will be mounting my AT01NSN on mine when finished.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Also look at the trijicon accupoint.  It is a low power variable (I think like 1.5-5), and has the red triangle.  There is a thread around comparing the low power variables.  I think they are the way to go.  I'm lusting over the accupoint, but since I just got a Nikon Tactical, my wife put the kabosh on me buying more scopes for now (mainly because I'd need another rifle to put it on - and then I'd really be dipping into her purse and shoe fund then).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Also look at the trijicon accupoint.  It is a low power variable (I think like 1.5-5), and has the red triangle.  There is a thread around comparing the low power variables.  I think they are the way to go.  I'm lusting over the accupoint, but since I just got a Nikon Tactical, my wife put the kabosh on me buying more scopes for now (mainly because I'd need another rifle to put it on - and then I'd really be dipping into her purse and shoe fund then).

Interesting, I'll look the Accupoint up. I haven't looked at them yet.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think for out to 300-350 yards ACOG AT01 would be good.
I will be mounting my AT01NSN on mine when finished.

Interesting. I originally was looking for something with the "BAC" idea in mind but perhaps one with regular crosshairs but built hell-for-stout is the answer.

I have an eye problem that might preclude me from using the BAC with magnification anyway.

Interesting. That the TA01 is less expensive is icing on the cake.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top