Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:38:33 PM EDT
After doing a search I read that the battery life of the new Trijicon Tripower is only 10 hours while on the brightest setting, and 110 hours while on the lowest daylight setting.  This can't be right, or is it??  If so, that would mean the battery for this optic would have to be changed every night if it were run on the brightest setting.  hock.gif  I know I must be misunderstanding something about the way this optic works.  he
Lastly, eye relief is not important and will allow forward mounting on the handguard like the Aimpoint correct?  

I'm an old iron sight shooter and this optic thing is kind of new to me!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the opportunity to inspect on of the new Tri-Powers last week.  Using the ambient windowless indoor light of the shop, the reticle glowed extreamly bright.  The shop was moderately lit. The battery would only be necessary in darkness to amplify the tritium or I suppose if you were scoping a very brightly lit area outdoors and suffered moderate washout.  Thus as the battery is only a back-up or supplement, it's run time is not as relevent as it would be in a sight such as an Aimpoint or EOTech where the battery is the sole source of illumination.

You could in theory mout the Tripower forward like an Aimpoint.  The one I saw was mounted mid rail and I found that sufficent for both quick target aquisition and more precise bench rest aiming.  I think the mounting location would be your personal preference.

Lastly, I am uncertain about the glowing fiber optic as I did not turn out the lights in the shop to check.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a hard time (actually impossible) thinking up a realistic scenerio in which you would have the electrical (versus the tritium) illuminator turned up so high that it would be tactically a problem with light bleeding out through the external fiber optic collector.

As noted, the only expected use of the electrical illuminator would be if you're standing in a dark area (no light for the fiber optics) aiming toward bright light (washes out the tritium illumination).  Anyone think that a target standing in the brightly lit area would only see your bleed through illuminated collector?   Not a chance.

Falls in the same "problem" of needing to use an anti-reflective device at night to keep light from reflecting off your objective lense.  If you buy that one, you'll buy the bleed through problem.

Think about it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top