Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2006 12:19:36 PM EDT
I have an Aimpoint ML2 on my patrol rifle but am considering a magnified optic for use at the 100 yd and 200 yd qualification ranges we shoot and for use on the perimeter of a scene.

I am looking at adding a 3X magnifier or selling the Aimpoint and buying an ACOG TA-31F.

I have to keep in mind that, not only will I possibly be taking 100 yd shots but also 3 yd shots so I'm needing an optic that will perform as a magnified optic AND as a relex sight.

Will I be better served by one system over another?  Will one system perform these roles better than the other?

Any input will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
At what distance do you plan on shooting the most? If the furthest that you plan to shoot is 200yds, I would stick with what you have. Personally, I did not like the 3x magnifier and the 4MOA dot.

It takes some range time, but you can learn BAC with the ACOG, but it takes time and alot of people have stated that its not for them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Personal opinion is you get the 3x with flip mount so that you can go from magnified to non-magnified quickly.  You just dont have that option with the ACOG.

If you were strickly 100+yd shots, I would say ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I am also a cop and I was in the Military.  At the ranges you are shooting, the best option is a 1-4 scope such as a Horus vision 1-4, IOR 1-4, Scmidt and Bender 1.1-4.  The aimpoints, Eotechs, Acogs, are all combat sights.  They are ment to take a beating and for the most part, in the military, you aim center mass and shoot.  While in Law Enforcement, precision is a priority.  I was taught in the academy that when you shoot your gun, that bullet is yours.  If you miss and hit a bystander, you are liable.  I personally own an IOR 2-12 and it is amazing piece.  This is just my opinion.  I am not an expert or ever claim to be one, but I always believed in a sight that is versatile because you never know what type of situation may come up.  Aimpoints and Eotechs are great for kicking doors in and clearing rooms.  ACOG's are great for medium range stuff.  You need a scope that is good for both.  You should really check out the Horus Vision.  It has the reticle in the first focal plane and when at 4x you can use the lines underneath for bullet drop.  While at 1x, the reticle looks similar to the EO.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top