Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:46:50 PM EDT
Ok guys.....I've looked around, but have not been able to find the info I am looking for..I'm hoping someone can help me out with this question...

When mounting the AimPoint 3X magnifier in a LaRue or AimPoint Twist mount you have to remove the piece of rubber from the magnifier in order to make it fit.......  What I'm curious about is, if the rubber has already been removed from the magnifier, is there anyway to replace this piece of rubber with a new piece of rubber that has not been cut?......I'm assuming maybe you could get the "new" piece of ruuber from AimPoint.     I'd really appreciate any info on this...

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Had to cut it off for it to fit the 30mm ring.  I kept the cut off piece around, when I sold it I reattached it on the 3x magnifier (informed the buyer and sent him the same pic above).  The rubber armor is friggin useless IMOH and an unnecessary pain in the ass.  I didn't use any glue when I reattached it, I figured the new owner would have to remove it just the same, unless he has the Aimpoint or Samson mount, but I guess a little bit of glue would have kept it in place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
No, the rubber can not be replaced, the best that you can do is to keep the piece that you cut off and slide it back on if you go to a different mount, a drop of super glue will hold it in place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys....I really appreciate the info!  When the rubber was removed on my 3X magnifier ( I bought it used) they cut a slit down the side of the rubber, as well as around it. I think super glue would probably  hold the removed piece of rubber back against the rubber on the magnifier......but I'm just wondering if super glue would hold the rubber back together where the slit was made down the side...  any thoughts?

I had a random idea at work today.....  althought it might not be the most appealling idea looks wise...but here goes....   Have you guys seen these black plastic ties...  some people refer to them as Pan-Doit Ties, or Ban Doit Ties???   I was thinking one or two of these would probably hold the rubber back on the magnifier easily....    but like I said...it might not look all that appealling.  Oh well....just food for thought.

Thanks Again Guys!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
whoever owned your 3x before must have some experience in wrist slitting
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the same thing you did.  You have to contact Aimpoint directly and order the Magnifier rubber boot for it.  They don't usually have it in stock, but they can get them from the company that makes it for them.  The tricky part is sliding the boot back on.  THe easiest way is to use dishwashing detergent and lathering the inside of the new rubber boot and then slide it on the magnifier.  As you slide it in you have to twist the boot at the same time.  Once the boot passes the 4 screws that are on the magnifier (you will see what I am talking about once you take out the old boot), stick your finger through the bottom of the the boot and lift it over the rest of the screws.  I hope you understand all that.  The most important thing to remember is to use the soap to make the rubber boot slippery.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
whoever owned your 3x before must have some experience in wrist slitting

My wife [a medical professional] has always told me that if one is going to slit a wrist, that the "proper" way is longitudonal vs. transverse....folks that do the latter are only looking for attention, not true results.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Go down the block not across the street.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#10]
What, no "circumcism" jokes?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top