Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:58:27 PM EDT
I am thinking about purchasing an M3 and wanted to get everyones opinions on the 2MOA vs 4MOA dot thing. I have been shooting a first gen. Aimpoint for the last 3 years and have not had any problems with the 4MOA other than a little starring.

Has anyone found any benefits to the 2MOA?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If your buying new for the first time, I'd say go for it. More options on the size of the 2MOA dot and longer batt life.

If you upgrading just cause, Why if you are already good with it. I have a 4MOA and have no issues out to 300meter and I'm still on the original Battery from 2 years ago..... (and I leave that sucker on a lot by accident)

Other then the extended Battery life the only advantage is the smaller reticle for more precise Long range shots (remember it's a CQB Optic, never designed for Long range)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a M3 2MOA for a little while, then went back to the 4MOA. For me I know that I would use my Aimpoint for short range engagments, and I felt the larger dot worked better for minute of man out to 100yds. Now out past that, and the larger dot was to big, and the 2MOA dot was pretty good. I was using a SBR, and wont be shooting 200 yds. with it very often.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a couple of M2s (4 MOA of course) and 1 M3 w/a 2 MOA dot. You can make a 2 MOA dot a bit "fatter" by bumping up the brightness a notch or 2 higher then needed. However, the inverse is not true of the 4 MOA dot. As far as I know, most dealers aren't even stocking the 4 MOA ML3/M3.

The 2 MOA dot is only "necessary" when using the Aimpoint 3X magnifier. The 4 MOA dot looks really big through the 3X magnifier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the bigger dot after using an ML3 2moa.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 4moa M3 version and must say I would use that over the 2moa.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I was going to ask this same question, I have recently purchased the 2MOA and I am dissappointed in it. Unless on full intensity, in daylight you can barely pick up the dot. My 4MOA shows a more round dot and I can use most of the range of intensity depending on the situation. Its good to go to 300 yds, as far as being able to place accurate shots on man size targets.
Sorry I bought the 2MOA, FWIW.

Dr.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Unless on full intensity, in daylight you can barely pick up the dot. My 4MOA shows a more round dot and I can use most of the range of intensity depending on the situation. Its good to go to 300 yds, as far as being able to place accurate shots on man size targets.

Tha't why I have no interest in a 2MOA dot. I use my Aimpoint for what it was designed for. Fast Tgt aquisition at CQB ranges out to 100 yards. if I wanted more precision out at 3-500yds I would have got an magnified optic like an ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is my cents worth .... for my first dot ever on a AR I went with a ML3 2moa from Teknic on a LaRue #150   .. I love it. I have shot it from 5yds to 200yds in different light conditions and can turn it up for close shooting and turn it down and supper impose a small dot on the target at the long distances. I do all I need w/ a 2 moa. Zero regrets.    I can hit a gallon jug @ 200yrds with it.     HH
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for everyone's input. Looks like pro's and con's both ways.

I think that I will go with an M2. I have no problem hitting a man sized target at 300 yards with my 4 MOA dot. As several people have already mentioned it's a CQB sight and if the 2 MOA only offers advantages at long range then I am happy to stay with the 4 MOA.

Thanks again for the comments.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 2 min ml3 and a 4 min ml2.  I like both.  I don't lose the 2 min dot at speed or in bright sunlight.  It's also better for longer shots in 3 gun matches.  

The 4 min dot is fine if you're not shooting small targets at distance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I shoot 4MOA at 200 yards with my 4MOA ML2.  I can adjust accordingly to hit my target beyond that, if needed.

Good 'nuff for me.  Two years on the original battery.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#12]
BESAFE,

The Aimpoint that you have now, you said "first generation" is it a Comp M? If so it has a 3MOA dot, I worked for Aimpoint for a couple of years and I have used both dot sizes extensively and from my experience and the opinion of real operators in the field the 2MOA is the way to go. The exception to that would be if you weapon is going to be a designated entry weapon, then the 4MOA will be better. If your rifle will be a multipurpose weapon I would seriously consider the 2MOA because of its versatility. You will not notice a significant difference in the dots until you engage targets beyond 100M, you can hold a 2MOA in one hand and a 4MOA in the other and if you do not know which is which you will have a very hard time telling them apart.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BESAFE,

The Aimpoint that you have now, you said "first generation" is it a Comp M? If so it has a 3MOA dot, I worked for Aimpoint for a couple of years and I have used both dot sizes extensively and from my experience and the opinion of real operators in the field the 2MOA is the way to go. The exception to that would be if you weapon is going to be a designated entry weapon, then the 4MOA will be better. If your rifle will be a multipurpose weapon I would seriously consider the 2MOA because of its versatility. You will not notice a significant difference in the dots until you engage targets beyond 100M, you can hold a 2MOA in one hand and a 4MOA in the other and if you do not know which is which you will have a very hard time telling them apart.

Damn, and just when I thought I had this decided. Went to training tonight and had my Comp M die and my damn Bushmaster jammed all night. Time for some new equipment. It will defintely be an M3 now so I don't have to worry about running out of juice. 2 or 4 MOA I guess I'll just go with my gut when I order.
Thanks for all the comments.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top