Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2006 4:47:13 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me about the Samson flip mounts for the Aimpoint 3X magnifier?  Are these solid mounts?  My concern is that the magnifier would flop around when not being used, would likely get in the way, and generally be clunky and more trouble than it's worth.   I'd appreciate the straight scoop on these.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it works as well as it could.  
No flopping at all, even if you jump down 5 feet onto concrete you won't feel a thing, it's spring loaded but you can easily "flip" it back up with a quick rotational snap of the weapon. It's not like those swivel bipods that swing and rattle all around everywhere, it's either up or down, no in between.
When locked up, it's solid as could be, you can pick the weapon up by the magnifier. Plus quick on and off with the ARMS throwlever, and since you don't have to zero it, you can use it on a variety of weapons.
It's MilSpec height, bolts to the 3X magnifier so you don't have to cut the rubber off, and is a very high quality mount in every respect, and clears most of the desirable BUIS.  I can't imagine why anyone would want any other mount for the 3X unless they had no need to be able to rapidly select 1X or 3X as the situation required.

I haven't heard any action reports on it in Afghanistan or Iraq except for one.  A soldier with one mounted on a M4 with an Eotech used it to take out (with the first shot) a semi concealed PK gunner at 250 yards after shooting a couple of other bad guys at close (20 yard) range on 1X.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
When you purchase the quick flip, do you get the ARMS mount as well or do you have to purchase a mount separately?

Also, do you recommend the flip to left or right?  The right flip seems like it could get hit by ejected casings.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When you purchase the quick flip, do you get the ARMS mount as well or do you have to purchase a mount separately?

Also, do you recommend the flip to left or right?  The right flip seems like it could get hit by ejected casings.

It comes with the ARMS mount.
If you shoot left handed like me get the left flip, otherwise get the right flip.
Everyone I have heard of using the right flip have never had a problem with there even being any marks on it from the casings, the 3X has a pretty tough rubber coating and it's a non-issue.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It comes with the ARMS mount.
If you shoot left handed like me get the left flip, otherwise get the right flip.
Everyone I have heard of using the right flip have never had a problem with there even being any marks on it from the casings, the 3X has a pretty tough rubber coating and it's a non-issue.

Thanks, that alleviates some of my concerns.  Especially for what the 3x + Samson flip combo goes for.

Amazing how a simple 3x magnifier could cost so darn much.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top