Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 10:06:31 PM EDT
Greetings.

I've learned so much from reading (and searching the archives) of this site.

I have a couple questions about the TA31F. I just installed it today on an upper with a 16" mid-length, 1:7 twist, chromed lined, (one of Denny's Operator barrels).

I was 14" high at 85 yards using 55gr Winchester white box and 75gr Hornady TAP. My groups were around 1.5" with the Hornady.

My questions are:

1. Why am I 14" high at 85yds?
2. Will there be enough 'latitude' adjustment in the ACOG (TA31F) to compensate for approximately 14" at 100yds? The Trijicon manual says that the sight can be ruined by over adjusting beyond the limits of the adjustment boundaries.

Thanks for the help.

God Bless,
David

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
14"s?  

thats a bit much, i would check to see if the acog and mount are squared up properly before attemtping to adjust that much
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
My last few sight-ins with ACOGs have been pretty far off- off the paper at 100. They have tons of adjustment, so just start cranking. However!!! If you feel more resistance as you are turning the adjuster- STOP so that you don't cause any damage. Time to investigate your build if that is the case.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I'm feeling assured based on two of the three posts above. I was actually going to wait until Trijicon reopened so that I might call and talk with a tech before I started 'cranking' on the adjustment screws.

However, It seems like it is not uncommon to be so many inches off and the adjustment boundaries within the ACOG should have a generous amount of latitude to compensate.  Thanks for the help.

I would be interested in knowing if anybody else has found their ACOGS to be ~14" off from the factory. Thanks again.

God Bless,
David
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
That's probably normal.  When one guy in my company tried to zero his ACOG, they had to put a large sheet of paper up for him to get started.  He wasn't hitting the zero target (only 8x11" though) at 25 meters.  It was way off.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
It states in the manual that, "The ACOG is shipped in a centered position for M16/AR15 carrying handles." Bold supplied.

I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I would suspect that if the TA31F is shipped sighted for carry handle use when of course it's meant for flat top use, that might be the reason why it is so far from zero out of the box.

God Bless,
David
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top