Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:20:47 AM EDT
I am awaiting feverishly a new upper for my new lower.  I am putting a carry handle on it for now until I get the eotech funds. Which may be awhile but nevertheless, I'd like to get a same plane aperture and don't know where?  And also, do you need special tools to install one?  I've never done an AR sight before.  I have however taken apart several Garand rear sights.  But this is obviously different.  Do I need any special tools to perform a change out if I get one?  

Also, where is the best place to get that front sight adjustment tool?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact Sully at Defensive Edge. He has marketed their own line of rifles as well as the item you are looking for
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:  

Front sight tool?  It would be the first round in the top of your mag!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:  

Well no sh--.  But once I know where it's hitting I may have to move it, what do you use???
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a front sight adjustment tool from Bushamster. I think I paid $6.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  

Well no sh--.  But once I know where it's hitting I may have to move it, what do you use???

No shit at all. You use a round to depress the detent and rotate the FSP.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Seriously dude, save your $6 and buy a burger or something. A bullet tip works fine, it's what was designed to be used.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Seriously dude, save your $6 and buy a burger or something. A bullet tip works fine, it's what was designed to be used.

Oooooooooooohhhhhh, I get it, OK, I AM the dumbsh--.  Well, that's why I asked, I'd rather not spend the money!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Except for I shoot those girlie HPBT match rounds, that might dent them.  He he he eh he ehe.  I'm just kidding.  I have some FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I say spend the $6. It doesnt make you less of a man to have a front sight tool...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#10]
You fellas must have tiny little girly fingers or something... I can push down the detent with a bullet tip, but I can't turn the stupid post because I have a hard time getting hold of the FSP with my big ole stumpy fingers.

Just because you CAN use a bullet tip doesn't mean that's the BEST or most EFFICIENT way.  Besides, it's all awkward and such trying to hold the rifle, press the detent, and turn the FSP all at the same time.  What do I do, hold the rifle with my knees?  I'd rather spend my $6 whole dollars to purchase the PROPER tool for the job.

I CAN use a hammer to make an omelet...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You fellas must have tiny little girly fingers or something... I can push down the detent with a bullet tip, but I can't turn the stupid post because I have a hard time getting hold of the FSP with my big ole stumpy fingers.

Just because you CAN use a bullet tip doesn't mean that's the BEST or most EFFICIENT way.  Besides, it's all awkward and such trying to hold the rifle, press the detent, and turn the FSP all at the same time.  What do I do, hold the rifle with my knees?  I'd rather spend my $6 whole dollars to purchase the PROPER tool for the job.

I CAN use a hammer to make an omelet...

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Ashley Outdoors make a same plane rear replacment for the AR.I run one in a YHM folding sight for work behind an Aimpoint
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Ashley Outdoor is now XS Sights.  They make the same-plane aperture Sully uses on his rifles.  I'm sure Brownell's has them and I think I got mine from Midway.  

It's easy enough to swap them out, but you'll need a pin punch of the right size.  Basically you just run the sight all the way over to one side (I forget which, I think the right?), tap the roll pin out of the windage knob so you can unscrew it, take it off (watch out for the ball and detent), take the aperture off the screw, put the new one on, line up the pin holes and reinstall the pin, and crank it back over.  Download the TM if you need more detailed instructions.  If you just tap the roll pin to clear the screw but not all the way out it's a lot easier to re-install.  I used the small punch as a slave pin to keep it all lined up and a bigger punch to drive it back in.  Be sure you put it on facing the right way.  If you don't, the taper/dish will face the wrong way and the correction for the left-right movement when flipped will be wrong.  The "XS" logo should face you when flipped to that aperture.

Besides being same-plane, the XS apertures are much larger than the apertures on the A2 sights.  A2 has "small" and "large" and the XS has "medium" and "HUGE".  The finish seems to be a little more glossy than the A2 apertures too.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top