Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 10:05:43 PM EDT
Hello everyone.

I currently have a 3x9 mueller scope with night vision dot capability.  I am looking to do a little cayote night hunting.  I am trying to figure out what kind of prices I am going to face for some kind a night vision set up.  I think it would be best to have goggles, or something like that, so i dont always have to look through a scope.  Can someone point me in a good direction to look at prices/quality?  Obviously I dont want to spend a lot of money, and i only need to see under 300 yards at the most.  Probably under 100 would do good enough.
Thanks,
-RC
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had 6 years experience with night vision technology.  I've bought, sold and tried out just about everything out there.  If your looking for something 100 yards or less, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a Generation 2 system.  A Generation 1 system is basically a toy and is more or less dependent on infrared light to function.  It also causes a "fish-eye" effect, or a blurry-ness around the perimeter of the image.  A generation 3 is the BEST, however, I doubt you want to spend thousands of dollars.  Many getting into NV for the first time want to save money and buy a Generation 1 device, only to be disappointed later, and spend even more for a Generation 2 device.  A generation 2 system will definitely fulfill your needs and will set you back roughly $300-$600 for a used  or slighly used system.  I would definitely search around eBay for one.  Just make sure the seller GUARANTEES the system to be a Generation 2 night vision device!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks books.  this is on private property, and no bounties, just for fun, so i will probably stick to moonlight and/or spotlights.  600 is almost what i paid for my rifle!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I know...I know...night vision is a TREMENDOUSLY EXPENSIVE HABIT!!  Believe me, I've bought and sold systems costing around $7K each...  After you've been in the NV buisness, everything else seems to cost peanuts.  Believe me though, I'm not steering you wrong.  Look for a slighly used generation 2 night vision device.  Ebay always has them up.  If your that interested, it will DEFINITELY be worth the money in the end.  Also, ask the seller if the image tube inside of the NV system has any noticable black spots.  80% of night vision systems have black specks or spots to some degree.  They are not dust or dirt but an inadvertant part of the manufacturing process.  They can't be helped.  NV systems without spots generally cost more money though.  People will spend soooo much money for the PERFECT night vision image tube.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Then in my case, Im sad to say, I will probably not go night vision until I can really afford something nice, or until prices drop.  I really didnt know they were so much (for gen-3, etc).  Thanks for the help, though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Every week/month just put a little aside for your own night vision fund.  By the time you have enough, you'll appreciate it a whole lot more!!  Thats what I do anyway....  Good luck!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
NV gets very expensive.  I had a very nice Gen 2 NV scope.  It worked great but I found myself wanting better resolution.  I ended up selling it.  I would love to have a nice Gen 3 monocular mounted behind my Eotech but the price is beyond what I'm willing to spend.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If I may, there is one first gen weapon mount optic that does work pretty well decent clarity(36lpm), for its age and thats the pvs2, its big its heavy , it has a bastard type mount for those who cant machine up adapters,and you can still get parts for it,the  but, for what it is, and the prices I have seen them going for now days, compared to what they were in the 80s, its not that bad of a unit, yes once you look through a 3rd gen unit, you are ruined till you get a 3rd gen unit, (which, Im currently working hard at saving for), just thought I would mention that, having had a 2 for 20 some yrs, it has worked for me, and I will still hang on to it after I get a 3rd gen unit,
and having picked up one of victors IR torches, it has given my pvs 2 a second breath, till I get a 3rd gen unit,
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top