Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 5:47:19 PM EDT
I am thinking about switching from my Eotech to a powered optic.  I have been looking at he Leupold Var-X III 1.5-5x20 Illuminated Reticle scope.  Any opions?  Which reticle would be best for 3 gun / defense purposes?  IR Dot/Circle or IR Duplex or IR German duplex?  Anyone have any time with any of these?

This would be on a AR15 Flatop.  Also what mount do you recommend and why?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a the Illum. circle dot ret on mine in a Larue SPR mount
The scope......if I could return it for a full refund I would......after the first time out to zero I noticed what looked to be a bunch of lose particulates inside the tube around the reticle, effectively blurring my FOV....no problem, sent it to Leupy for repair...cost to me just shipping.  Get it back and all looks good and note says the reticle was replaced....Second time out to zero, same thing but less particulates, I have yet to return it for the warranty repair at this point...just truely disgusted with what's supposed to be a top of the line optic.  To reiterate, this was on the first on second occassions taking the rifle out to be zeroed, it had never seen anything close to hard use.  I wish I would have just waited and bit the bullet buying the  much more costly S&B short dot.  Other than that my only gripe is the lack of illumination in daylight...at full power illum and full sun you will only see a black circle/dot.  I have yet to use it extensively myself, but the battery life is supposed to be pretty poor too.   All in all,  I personally don't feel the scope is worth the price I paid for it.

Now for the mount, the Larue SPR is simply the best.  It gets it far enough out for you to have the proper eye relief and it is quick on/off if you need it and the levers lock it rock solid....no gripes about the Larue mount.

that's my 2c

Edited to add...
For the reticle, if you do decide to go with the illum Leupy the circle dot is really the best choice for defensive pupose IMO.  For 3 gun I'm not sure.  I'd say the German as a #2

2c more
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top