Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 12:20:45 PM EDT
With so many options I can't decide which scope. I was looking at the BSA Contenders, I know they are cheap but with the little recoil this gun has I figured it can't hurt the scope that much. I really want a variable power scope for shots out to 500 yards or so, with a 50mm objective and a max power of like 25x or so. Any options under $500
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go: http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3284  not a 50mm but you won't miss it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using a SS10X42 on my Rem 700p and it hasn't let me down out to 700.

Super Sniper
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
super sniper is good i prefer nightforce.

i would highly recommend against the bsa, there are guys that have problems with the "high end" bsa's that wouldnt hold zero on .22lr's moreless a centerfire
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
super sniper is good i prefer nightforce.

i would highly recommend against the bsa, there are guys that have problems with the "high end" bsa's that wouldnt hold zero on .22lr's moreless a centerfire

"High End" BSA, isn't that one of them oxymorons???

Could you please point me to the $500 nightforces I'd like to buy a box of them.  Then maybe someone could point me towards the variable power Super Snipers.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#5]

I am in the same boat, I've been looking at these:

4200 Elite 6 - 24 x 40

I know you said 50mm bell, but........

Good luck and let us know what you end up with
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Busnell 3200 10x40 Tactical - Under $200
Bushnell 3200 in 30-9x, 4-12x, 5-15x, or 7-21x if you want a variable
SWFA Super Sniper $300
Sightron S2 in whatever power range you prefer
Weaver V16 is a nice scope

BSA is junk, not fit for a .22

Big objectives are way over hyped, in most cases you can get all the light available in a 40mm objective.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am in the same boat, I've been looking at these:

4200 Elite 6 - 24 x 40

I know you said 50mm bell, but........

Good luck and let us know what you end up with hr

That's the same one I posted a link to only it's $100 less on www.theopticzone.com :)  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
A tip.

Apply for and get your 03 FFL (C&R).

Fax a copy to Midway, Brownells and many other vendors. Set up accounts. Prices improve well beyond the $30 you spent on the FFL.

Stomp, stomp.

As all are aware, with optics, you get what you pay for. In the higher ranges, the good ones stand out. A Leupold VXIII 6.5-20 is a good place to start the comparison. Some are better, most are worse.

Long range varminting is not sniping or "Tactical". You have the option of setting up for comfort, use good rests, take advantage of good lighting and the time to deal with the fairly critical eye relief of higher power scopes. And, it's a plus to see impact. No need to limit yourself to 10X.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
This is not a very ARFCOM thing to say, but I just took delivery of my Mueller 4-16x50 from  The Optic Zone.  It's too dark to test it out really well, but what I could see, I like!  I got the "Tactical" (despite the name) because of the Mil-Dots, but they make Several with the "Fine Dot" that is less than 1moa and up to 25x magnification!

It's not for the Sandbox I'm sure, but for varmint hunting I think it would be ideal.  It's also a heck of a piece of glass for only $200!

They get great reviews from some very respected firearms folks (like Jeff Quinn of GunBlast.com), and they're very popular on the Savage forum as well.

Another thing that really influenced my decision...  The Kenton Industries website for the "Tuned Trajectory Compensator" shows a Mueller version "Coming Soon"!  

Just think, being able to dial-in your distance, tailored to your load, through a good quality scope, all for $250!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If I could be so bold...

My scope on the EE
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a Bushnell 6.5x18x50 at WalMart for $129.00. Several people said the optics are just OK, not good.
Several others said Simmons has a little better optics and has been a good scope for them. I wanted a relatively high power scope for target shooting and have a limited budget, just like most of us.
THIS scope, for $109.00, should be good for range and hunting/plinking use. I ordered mine yesterday. If you haven't bought one by the time mine arrives I will post on what I think about it.
HERE is a link to the discussion about this scope.
HTH,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Most any scope will work fine on a sunny day at the 100 yd range. Its when you got the the extremes of light, range and weather that you realize the low $ scopes aren't up to the task. IMO the Leupold VX II and Burris Fullfield II are entry level scopes. You will most likely become dissatisfied with a cheap scope and will want to upgrade. The low $ scopes will not keep their resale value. You just end up looking for another scope but now your $100 poorer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Save your schekls for something good.

I've done the BSA Contender route, with decent success, but ultimately sold it off at a staggering loss (percent-wise)

Leupold, Bushnell 3200 or 4200, Super Sniper, Burris, Weaver......
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I missed your wanting a scope under $500.00. The BSA mention threw me.
Get a leupold VariX-II.
If you need to go cheap many have recommended a Nikon 3x9x40 for around $200.00, but if you can go to $500.00 you can get a very good scope.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the Burris Fullfield II 3x9 on my RRA Varmint and for the hunting I do it works great.  Most of my shooting is on running coyotes and the occasional balled up (sleeping) red fox. For the yotes I rarely have it over 4 power and if buy chance I get to crawl up on a fox I crank it up to 9 power. I've also taken my share of flicker tails and prairie dogs using the Burris.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I picked the rifle up from the store today. Still don't have a scope. I'm looking into the Super Sniper 20x-42mm, Burris signature select, and leupold vxIII.
I cannot afford the vxIII though so who am I kidding.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Look at Leupold's Vari-X II and their other scpes. The main differnce between the Vari-X III and the Vari-X II is the III adjustments are click adjustments and the II aren't. The Leupold optical quality can't be beat.
The Bushnell Elite series is also a good choice as is the Burris line. Leupold also makes a Mark 4 that is a little higher priced than you wanted to spend but worth the money.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well, I picked the rifle up from the store today. Still don't have a scope. I'm looking into the Super Sniper 20x-42mm, Burris signature select, and leupold vxIII.
I cannot afford the vxIII though so who am I kidding.

I would get the 10x. I have a SWFA SS 10x42 and it has enough magnification to easily resolve a 6' gong at 1000 yards and the magnfication is not too high where mirage becomes a problem. You also have a better field of view...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Bushnell has a new 6-24X40, Side Focus,  Mil-Dot coming out in April.

Features: Rainguard Lens Coating, Fully Multi-Coated Optics, Magnum Recoil Proof Construction, Side Adjustable Parallax Mechanism, 1/8 M.O.A. Fingertip Audible/Resettable Windage and Elevation, Dry Nitrogen Filled, Mil Dot Reticle, One-piece Hammer-Forged 1" Tube, 100% Waterproof/Fogproof/Shock
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top