Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 10:20:30 PM EDT
Im going to build a rifle and am wondering which is a better optic for some one with bad eye sight. Also I have stigmatism if that makes any difference. An Aimpoint or Eotech?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
something with magnification maybe

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoint.

The Eotech's outer circle will disappoint you (because of your astigmatism, it'll look extra grainy and blurry)
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
ANY dot sight will look blurry if you have astygmatism, that includes the Aimpoint.  I have both an Aimpoint and an Eotech and I'm constantly having to fiddle with the brightness in various conditions to try and minimize the effects of the astygmatism.

I vote for a 2x compact ACOG.  I have a 1.5x and it does not blur light the dot sights do.  Depending on how bad the rest of your eyesight is you can go with a higher (like 4x) or lower (like my 1.5x) from the 2x.  I think I would have been better served by the extra .5x, but I got a great deal on the 1.5x and am sticking with it.

The only other downside of the 2x over the 1.5x is the eye relief.  My 1.5x24 has 3.6" of eye relief while the 2.0x20 only has 2.1".
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#4]
when i was deciding on a compact acog i couldnt justify the .5x more over an aimpoint for twice the price.

i went with the 2x, more than enough eye relief imo.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]

ANY dot sight will look blurry if you have astygmatism, that includes the Aimpoint. I have both an Aimpoint and an Eotech and I'm constantly having to fiddle with the brightness in various conditions to try and minimize the effects of the astygmatism.

Being a newbie to rifles, I just started looking at sights during the last gun show and found the same thing (with an Aim Sight Reflex). I thought it was the sight itself, it never occured to me that it was my eyes (suffer from bad astygmatism).  I'm glad this came up or I would have thought it was poor quality in the sights.

With the magnified sights, do you notice any difference in rapid target acquisition compared to the sights that are not magnified?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
With the magnified sights, do you notice any difference in rapid target acquisition compared to the sights that are not magnified?

I would say that there is a learning curve.  I haven't run much with a 4x ACOG so I can't really comment as to how much that slows you down, but I know that my 1.5x is just as quick as the dot sights when shooting with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ANY dot sight will look blurry if you have astygmatism, that includes the Aimpoint. I have both an Aimpoint and an Eotech and I'm constantly having to fiddle with the brightness in various conditions to try and minimize the effects of the astygmatism.

Being a newbie to rifles, I just started looking at sights during the last gun show and found the same thing (with an Aim Sight Reflex). I thought it was the sight itself, it never occured to me that it was my eyes (suffer from bad astygmatism).  I'm glad this came up or I would have thought it was poor quality in the sights.

I have astygmatism and I have yet to notice this effect.  Possibly mine isn't as bad as some, but I have an Aimpoint and it works great.  I even have the Trijicon Reflex and Dont notice any problems.  Same with all Magnification Scopes.  Best bet is to go to a store/gun show and handle each one and see what works best for you.

Possibly you might need your eyes rechecked.  You prescription doesn't always last forever.  Just might need new glasses.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Typically if your corrective lenses are corrected for the astygmatism the effect is reduced.  I don't see it as much wearing my (corrected) glasses as I do wearing my (non-corrected) contacts.  The thing is I rarely wear my glasses, and my astygmatism is small enough such that I don't need the contacts corrected for it for everyday use.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
My opinion is based on being a 52 year old physician with some astigmatism and presbyopia (old age can't see close up) as well. Both the Aimpoint and Eotech appear blurry and distracting to me. It is even worse at night when both become almost unusable for me. I have no problems at all with the low power variable scopes I've used: the Leupold CQ/T and the MR/T 1.5x5. The ability to focus the lense is extremely helpful. I have only used the Leupolds, but I would imagine any good quality variable would work for you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Tauric (not sure if I spelled it correctly) contact lenses should reduce the sparkle/blurry effect of a red dot sight if you have astigmatism. I’m waiting on mine to come in. I just got my Aimpoint M3 and realized my eyes SUCK (blurry/sparkly dot) An interesting effect is looking through your 300+ meter peep hole aperture for your BUIS. The dot becomes clear and concise. They do a very similar test sometimes when administering an eye exam.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#11]
How about a laser?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ANY dot sight will look blurry if you have astygmatism, that includes the Aimpoint.  I have both an Aimpoint and an Eotech and I'm constantly having to fiddle with the brightness in various conditions to try and minimize the effects of the astygmatism.

As a former astigmatism victim (had laser surgery to fix...), the aimpoint "blur" is much less noticeable, for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Possibly you might need your eyes rechecked. You prescription doesn't always last forever. Just might need new glasses.

Just had one a few weeks ago. Nothing changed this time (at least it didn't get worse). The stores around me don't really have any demo units available right now either. Everyone is buying pieces for thier guns like crazy. Between hurricanes and Christmas pickins are slim.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#14]
My poor eyesight gives me a distorted Aimpoint dot also, like a couple of very short intersecting "v"s.   It's hardly a problem at short ranges, you just center the red and shoot, but can hurt precision at longer ranges of 100 yards or more.
However, when I flip up the 3X Magnifier it all goes away and becomes a precise round 2 MOA dot.
Just another reason I like the magnifier.
Also, with the PVS-14 at night it is a perfect dot also.

And Stang951 is right, gun/gun accessory sales must be up, a couple of shops I've been to in the last week have all said they have sold the heck out of everything, handguns in particular, but lots of semi auto rifles also.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Possibly you might need your eyes rechecked. You prescription doesn't always last forever. Just might need new glasses.

Just had one a few weeks ago. Nothing changed this time (at least it didn't get worse). The stores around me don't really have any demo units available right now either. Everyone is buying pieces for thier guns like crazy. Between hurricanes and Christmas pickins are slim.

Do you use regular soft contacts or do you use tauric lenses?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the obvious answer would be to get proper corrective eyeglasses and not try to find an optic to suit bad eyesight.
I'm so nearsighted I can't tell a man from a woman without glasses (without using my hands ) and have astigmatism too. But with glasses I have perfect eyesight and no problems with any type of optics, or iron sights for that matter.
Of course there may be some eye problems that can't be corrected 100% but reading this thread I got the picture there are many shooters out there that really need glasses but for whatever reason haven't got them yet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#17]
some-
You're missing the point.  Even with corrective lenses not all problems are solved.  You also have to work with what you have, or may have.  I'm not going to pick an optic that has problems with my naked eye, no matter how defective that eye is, when there are other optics available that don't.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top