Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:33:45 PM EDT
I bought a scope mount last week. I chose a less expensive mount that is similar to the ARMS mount. I may regret that choice if I install it. I just ordered a Simmon's 6x20x40 Varmint scope to put on my flattop AR15.

Is the ARMS mount worth the extra money? If so, why?
I can't find a pic of the actual mount- my search fu is weak this week.
The mount I bought at CTD is see through and high enough to allow normal height scope rings according to the salesman. The monut I bought was $21.00 and the ARMS mount is $80.00-$90.00. Should I return this mount and buy the ARMS?

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
arms makes a whole list of mounts that could be used.

youre gonna have to be more specific.

google a.r.m.s. and go to their website, how hard is that?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I did google arms and found a whole lot of different mounts.
I am a little dunderheaded sometimes- I don't know which mount they were talking about other than it being for a flattop to use standard Weaver rings. That is what the cheapo mount I bought is for also.
Are the ARMS mounts that much better quality, or are flattop mounts all the same- one as good as another?
Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
still dont get what you are trying to do.

is it just a riser so rings can mount on top of it? if so why not go with taller rings?

is it for an a2 carry handle? i wouldnt mount optics up there anyways unless it was an acog.

if its just a riser yhm makes some good stuff for the budget in mind and brightflashlights in the industry forum is a yhm dealer and is a great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a riser to mount rings on. The guy at CTD said it was a better way than tall rings- more solid. It doesn't look like it is anything special and I don't see how it could be trash, but it is a lot cheaper than the ARMS mount. It's in a grey box and is made in China.
Are the ARMS mounts more versatile, easier to use, just plain made better or what? They did try to sell me one but I needed something quick and cheap for my kid to wrap for me and put under the tree.
All I will be doing right now is mounting a scope.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Taller rings are plenty strong enough for any rifle you're putting a scope like that on. I don't see you beating up a rifle that has a 6.5-20 scope on it. Unless you want or need QD capability, you really don't need ARMS rings. Plus, the scope you bought has a 1-inch tube, so you'd also need ring reducers (an extra $29, give or take) to mount it using ARMS rings. If you aren't going to mount a BUIS or otherwise require QD capability, IMHO an Armalite mount would be a better choice for you than ARMS, or some cheap chinese-made riser that may or may not fit onto the receiver like it's supposed to.

ETA: I have never known CTD to sell ARMS anything, nor are any of their products listed on their website. Chances are that if the guy from CTD was going to sell you an ARMS mount, it would be some cheap POS knock-off.

Just saw this in the EE, and thought you might want to check it out:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=316301
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
It's possible  he said Armalite mount, not ARMS. I'll go back and see what they have.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Taller rings are plenty strong enough for any rifle you're putting a scope like that on. I don't see you beating up a rifle that has a 6.5-20 scope on it. Unless you want or need QD capability, you really don't need ARMS rings. Plus, the scope you bought has a 1-inch tube, so you'd also need ring reducers (an extra $29, give or take) to mount it using ARMS rings. If you aren't going to mount a BUIS or otherwise require QD capability, IMHO an Armalite mount would be a better choice for you than ARMS, or some cheap chinese-made riser that may or may not fit onto the receiver like it's supposed to.

ETA: I have never known CTD to sell ARMS anything, nor are any of their products listed on their website. Chances are that if the guy from CTD was going to sell you an ARMS mount, it would be some cheap POS knock-off.

Just saw this in the EE, and thought you might want to check it out:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=316301

I went into the CTD store today. They do carry A.R.M.S. mounts- several styles of them.
The mount/riser that is similar tp what I bought is $99.00.
I did notice it isn't listed on their website. The Armalite one piece mount is listed but is not carried in their store.
Jim
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top