Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:40:40 PM EDT
While trying to find a target/varmint scope at Cabela's I saw an ATN 5x33 scope with illuminated reticle. What are these scopes designed for? 5x magnification seems almost limited to 200 yards max.
I looked through the scope but the battery was dead so I have no idea what the reticle looks like. There was a verticle(?) line with some numbers but no horixontal reticle.
What problems could I expect with an illuminated only reticle?
I couldn't look very closely- my 4 year old sidekick was getting restless. Would this scope make a better choice than the Bushnell's/Simmons scopes I have been looking at? I have been trying to find a high power target scope, but is it necessary?
How is it at 200 yards and further? What is the limit for accurate shooting with a 5x illuminated reticle scope?
edited to add that it comes with different bdc's for different calibers.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I found this link to the ATN site with the scope.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not familar with ATN, could someone give me some feed back on them.. I'm refering to the $300- 350 range ones, not the $6,000 one.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I have read something about them. By their website they make a lot of night vision scopes.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
yea, i noticed that.
I trust these forums more than their "feedback" section so................
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I just remembered something the saleman told me. The reticles can be switched either red or green.
Why?
Jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm not familar with ATN, could someone give me some feed back on them.. I'm refering to the $300- 350 range ones, not the $6,000 one.  Thanks

Opinions on the ATN vary greatly.  Previous owners tend to dislike them, current owners swear by them.

I personally am a previous owner.  I've owned two.  One was a 5x33LU (with interchangeable BDC cams) and I liked it OK.  I would never want one at $300, but $200 used off the EE was acceptable.  I found other scopes I liked better for the same money, and moved on.

Later, I purchased a 5x33L because again, my experience with the LU wasn't too bad.  This time, it was AWEFUL!  The yellow tint was pretty significant, and the view was fuzzy.  The scope was also NOT in the condition it was listed as on the EE, but fortunately the seller refunded my money.  He was a newbie, and I don't see him around anymore, but he did step up to the plate.  

Anyway, I won't say I'd NEVER own another 5x33LU, but I can't imagine it since I'm much more satisfied with the Burris Fullfield line for the same price.  I can say that I'll NEVER buy another 5x33L.

For the same price (new), I'd look at the IOR M2.

I just remembered something the saleman told me. The reticles can be switched either red or green.
Why?

That must be a new feature.  The ones I had only did red.  I've never seen it advertised either.  Nikon offers this feature.  Green is supposed to be better at night.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Opinions on the ATN vary greatly.  Previous owners tend to dislike them, current owners swear by them.

I personally am a previous owner.  I've owned two.  One was a 5x33LU (with interchangeable BDC cams) and I liked it OK.  I would never want one at $300, but $200 used off the EE was acceptable.  I found other scopes I liked better for the same money, and moved on.

Onslought that is what I wanted to hear-good or bad.
I'll pass since it isn't a screaming good scope and go to a more conventinal variable high power target scope.

Thanks a lot,
Jim
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top