Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 6:30:36 PM EDT
Will I run into any problems mounting a scope with a 50mm objective lense? It will be on a 20" HBAR flattop AR15.
I bought a scope mount block that the salesman said would allow standard scope rings to be used, but I didn't mention using a 50mm.
Should I stick to a 40mm scope?
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The height at which scopes are mounted on the AR15 is dominated by the sight line, so choosing a 40mm scope won't necessarily make it rest any lower as is the case with most other guns.  I would, however, consider a cantilevered mount, as most scopes have a bit too much eye relief for the AR15 platform.  Getting them a bit more forward helps tremendously.

I can highly recommend the Larue SPR mounts, which put the scope into comfortable eye relief range and can accomodate a 50mm bell with flip covers.  Here's a pic on my M1A using a 50mm objective.  The mount is reversed from the way you'll be using it.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top