Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2005 7:08:26 PM EDT
A varmint scope with AO for $109.00 with multi coated lenses? Is this for real or crap?
I don't think Simmons is made as cheaply as Tasco, and I know it's not nearly as good as Leupold, but is it decent for range work?
Jim
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if the one you're referring to is same as mine, but I got one a few years back for my prairie dog upper, it is made in Philippine.  I think the sale price was around $99 from Cabelas. Glass is very good for the price.  It does the job for me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I currently own two of these scopes. One is on a Custom Ruger 77/17HMR and the other on a CZ 22 mag. Both give suprisingly good service. An older one was on a Winchester Varminter and after years of use the adjustments for paralex became very stiff and the cross hair adjustments lost their percision. But that was after years of use in fact the red ring on the scope faded to light pink on top from the sun. For range testing accuracy and lite duty varminting it should be fine. I would not trust it for hard field use.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I Got a 6.5-20 X 50 with AO. For the money hard to beat.
Good scope for AR, with the big bell kind of hard to get low enough on anything else.
Not as bright and crispy clear as the high dollar stuff but will do the job.
Been sitting in my spare parts because I think I want a smaller lower wt. scope for the gun I had it on, but it would be right at home on a heavy varmint gun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
How does the Bushnell 6x18x50 with AO compare to the Simmon's?
I know both are low end scopes, but they aren't as cheaply made as the BSA or newer Tasco scopes-right?
Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned both Simmons and Bushnell  scopes for my hunting rifles and they both function good.  I would not say that BSA or Tasco are bad scopes.  I wouldnt use them on a high power hunting rifle, but for a .223 I dont see what the problem would be.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
bSA and Tasco have a reputation for lesser quality glass that's just not as clear as most others.
Bushnell used to be good before they were sold years ago.

I ordered the Simmon's varmint scope this evening. It should arrive by 01-05-06. I hope to hell UPS doesn't turn it into scrap on the way.

Thanks,
Jim
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top