Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 11:24:23 PM EDT
Fellas, does anyone have any photos of an Aimpoint mounted on a A2 type of AR-15 ? Not mounted on the handle but on the handguard rail itself. Also not the extended type rail/handguard that connects to the handle but the stand alone type of rail just on the handguard.

Also what type of mount and handguard/rail system for this type of setup ?

Thanks, Marcusg
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Marcusg, there will be some people that poo poo on what you are wanting to do.  As long as you understand that the HG MUST be FF in order to get the sniper grade accuracy you wish, you will be sorely disappointed.

Now on the other hand if you want CQB accuracy w/o MOA, then you would be good to go, PROVIDED, the HG is timed TDC.  I don't run a rig like that, but my son has a dissy that has a YHM HG rail that I can put my Aimpoint on for demo purposes.

I whole heartedly recommend the YHM HG.  I've been through quite a few of the HG systems and for the money the YHM is the best buy out there.  A dealer here offers awesome deals on the HG and I will recommend him to everyone I talk to at the gun shows.  Brightflashlights is the guy, go to the industry section and check out his forum.

As far as Aimpoint mounts, any of the quality manufacturers will work.  I wouldn't hesitate to use a military aimpoint mount either if you can get one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]

How about an AR10?  Not FF but these ALOSTYR were solid enough that holding zero was not a problem.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]

YHM non FF railed HG
Comp M2 with QRP and spacer
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a-lot gentlemen. With this kind of setup, can the aimpoint still be cowitnessed with the BUIS ?

Mery X-mas, Marcusg
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
anybody have photos of this type of setup on a  carbine A2 ?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks a-lot gentlemen. With this kind of setup, can the aimpoint still be cowitnessed with the BUIS ?

Mery X-mas, Marcusg

With a free floated rail, yes.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Mery X-mas, Marcusg

Mine on the AR10 cowitnessed perfectly without spacer.  Held zero just fine also.  Very easy to check since my irons weren't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mery X-mas, Marcusg

Marc, if you get the same mount as you would be using on a FT, yes it will co-witness.  The rails of the HG are on the same plane as the FT (if it were present).

HTH
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mine on the AR10 cowitnessed perfectly without spacer.  Held zero just fine also.  Very easy to check since my irons weren't going anywhere.

Just curious, how long have you had it set up that way and how many rounds have you shot with it? It really seems like the Aimpoint is sitting very low without the spacer.

I used this set up for almost two years which equates to a little over 2000 rounds.  I remember when I first tried it being surprised that I didn't need a spacer.

The only thing I can attribute it to is that the ALOSTYR rails have two different heights on the top and bottom rail so that they will work on both an AR10 and an Ar15.  Because the flattop on an AR10 receiver sits higher than an AR15, the rail on the HG has to be higher on the AR10 in order to match teh height of the receiver.  To make these work on an AR15, you simply rotate them 180 degrees and you'll have teh correct height for an AR15 receiver.  It's hard to tell from the pic but the 6 o'clock rail is shorter than the 12 o'clock rail.  The spacer would be needed if I used the AR15 height rail.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top