Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2005 7:16:42 PM EDT
Santa and Mrs sleepdr contrived to put my very first AR under the tree this year!  It is a flat-top with an LMT fixed rear FIRMLY installed, so I'm disinclined to take it off.  I plan to get an optic after some good range time becoming proficient with irons.

I've searched the active topics and archives, and am well aware that many will say, "trade the LMT on the EE for an ARMS/Troy/etc."  Yes, $100 for a BUIS pales in comparison to the $900 optic.  I like the LMT.  Getting past that, here is my question:

Does anyone use an ACOG with a short riser to bring the eyepiece over the fixed BUIS and closer to the rear of the rifle?  If so, how much does cheekweld suffer? Is this terribly heavy and akward?

Since people do attach ACOGs to fixed A2 carry handles, there must be a way around this.  I figure the LMT or cutdown carry handle is lower than an A2, so the optic would not mount as high.  If so, that would just require a modified cheekweld and not a full chinweld.

Am I way off base on this one?  Thoughts and experience on this are greatly appreciated, and pics are always welcome.

Thanks and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I admit I have never seen a fixed BUIS and an ACOG together, unless it's a carry handle.  The ACOG mounted on an A3 receiver has the perfect cheekweld for me, I wouldn't think of using any other combination.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
i would not if i didnt have to.

height over bore would be a problem
weight
you would also need a riser that is the same height as a carry handle so you could use the channel in the acog to use you irons.

i would either mount in a carry handle if you have an a2 upper or get a folding buis for the flattop
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it'll be plan b:

Buy a flip-up BUI when the time comes and save the LMT for another build.  I'm borrowing an Aimpoint 2x for now, and will just do my best to tough it out with that and the LMT.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Is their even enough room for a fixed LMT/LaRue sight and an ACOG that has been mounted to give the proper eye relief? Seems like getting the proper eye relief would be a problem, not to mention the sight obstruction on a magnified optic. That would not be same thing as using them with an Aimpoint/Eotech.

Sounds like a bad set-up to me, just use a Troy flip-up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is their even enough room for a fixed LMT/LaRue sight and an ACOG that has been mounted to give the proper eye relief? Seems like getting the proper eye relief would be a problem, not to mention the sight obstruction on a magnified optic. That would not be same thing as using them with an Aimpoint/Eotech.

think what he wants to do is raise the acog so that its higher than the lmt buis but actually in the same spot to provide proper eye relief.

either way you look at it, it doesnt work out too well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

think what he wants to do is raise the acog so that its higher than the lmt buis but actually in the same spot to provide proper eye relief.

either way you look at it, it doesnt work out too well.

10-4, and I could not agree more.

It sounds like a set-up loaded with problems.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Not worth it. BTW, you have just discovered the primary reason for multiple ARs
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not worth it. BTW, you have just discovered the primary reason for multiple ARs

Thanks for the input, gang.  I figured it was a suboptimal idea, but worth a shot.  

Now I'll have stuff for the next build: the LMT BUIS and an A2 buttstock/spring/buffer once Santa's wallet recovers enough for a collapsible.  These things really do multiply in dark places.  I even bought a Dremel today for future WECSOG/DIY work.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#9]
wescog??
dremel??

i have never heard such slander used in the presence of an ar15
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top