Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:07:38 PM EDT
If I remove the carry handle to mount a scope what do I do about the front sight?
Should I mount a BUIS to replace the carry handle/rear sight?
If I remove the front sight do I need a flip up front sight?
If I remove the fsb will I need to do anything about the gas block assy. or handguards?
BTW it's a 20" HBAR with an A2 buttstock, if that makes any difference.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
the front sight hold the handguard cap, usually if there's a front sight then its usually used as a gas block as well.

the rest is up to you, its your rifle and only you know what you plan on doing with it.

if you dont need a buis then dont get one.
if you dont want a front sight replace it or cut it off leaving the gas block portion
if you need a buis then put one in place of the carry handle.
do you still want to use irons with the front sight? replace it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If I remove the carry handle to mount a scope what do I do about the front sight?

Unless your intending mounting a low powered scope (below 4x) the scope will look thru the FSB and you'll not see it.

Should I mount a BUIS to replace the carry handle/rear sight?

I would, but that's me. Find one that'll mount underneath your scope

If I remove the front sight do I need a flip up front sight?

Sorry I'm a FSB guys and prefer my ARs have the FSB, instead of the flip-up front BUIS.

If I remove the fsb will I need to do anything about the gas block assy. or handguards?
BTW it's a 20" HBAR with an A2 buttstock, if that makes any difference.

Yes, the standard FSB is the gas block on ARs, you'll have to replace it with a low profile gas block and go w/ a FF tube (replacement for the HGs) mounted front BUIS or get a gas block with a pictinny rail on it. Note: HG cap is an issue too as pointed out above.

Thanks,
Jim

Mike
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top