Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 12:58:56 PM EDT
In a world of indifferent businesses and employees that care even less, I count myself very lucky to have had the pleasure to deal with the awesome dealers like Wes Grant of MSTN, Calvin of BrightFlashLights, C4Grant of G&R Tactical, Denny of globaltactical, Mike of csgunworks, Steve of ADCO, and others I can't remember .  Now adding to the list, Victor!  Great customer service from the day we started talking about the possibility of purchasing a D740, to the day it arrived and beyond.  I think Vic tracked the package more often than I did to find out its shipping status.  Great communication throughout the entire process.  So here's a hasty pic I took of the D740 that just arrived

The mount just clears the KAC 300M.  It might clear an ARMS 40L, not sure about the Troy rear BattleSight I replaced with the KAC 300M (to shave off some weight).
It's nice and bright outside so I haven't been able to play with it much yet, I'm prepared to have my breath taken away later tonight
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Really looking forward to your report on this scope, get some pics if you can.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of sling is that?

Nice rifle-- it's nice to see those undivided top rails.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang it I can't find the name of the sling, here's one sold by KAC, but it's the same sling click here

When I went from a GenII PVS4 to a GenIII PVS14 I was duely impressed.  Now that I'm used to a GenIII, I too want to see how the D740 stacks up
Oh well it'll be dark in a few hours....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
GRSC?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool

We need night pics!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
GRSC?

Yeah yeah that's it!  I could only remember GSR, but even then it's in the wrong order

bsbg I subscribe to the no-bipods shooting so much, I got rid of even the tripods for my camera  It'd be somewhat difficult to take a shot with long exposure without the help of tripods
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Duffy or Victor, don't they make an ARMS or LT QD mount that will work with this scope.  
Didn't I see Denny had one on his rifle with the same exact scope.
I'm planning ahead you see.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I asked Vic if I needed the ARMS riser he had on all of his setups.  The scope's own Pic mount sits on the 19 which also acts as a riser,  I'm wondering if ARMS or LaRue makes a mount that replaces the mount it comes with.  It's sturdy and as low as can be expected (it leaves about 0.5mm of clearance above the KAC 300M) but it's not QD.  I for one don't want it to sit on anything else other than the receiver, the cheekweld on an LMT SOPMOD stock doesn't exist, as it is,  it'd be even higher if it sits on another interface.  
Now I've come to realize what Vic was saying about the new Magpul stock...without the additional cheekpiece, you'd have to cant your head, at this position my earlope sits on the stock, not my cheek
I like the LMT stock for all day optics and PVS14, but for the D740, it cries out for the new Magpul stock.  This means I'll dedicate a rifle with the new stock for the D740, something Vic also mentioned.

As to the D740, it is very nice indeed  It's a different experience than viewing through the PVS14, I get to see many of the details as I would during the day using my TA31, I recommend it highly (get it from Victor!)
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]
so ? it's night time !!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#14]
What does the D-740 weigh?

Within reason of course, do you consider the weight somewhat secondary, since its on a dedicated-use weapon?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Where I live, there's a lot of city light and head lights from traffic on Pacific Coast Highway, last night due to the mist thrown up by the huge waves from the storm in Hawaii it was foggy on the coast, still the D740 aptly showed its capabilities.  At 150yds I could clearly make out individual bricks on a chimney, I'll test longer distance later tonight when the traffic diminishes a bit.  The experience is akin to looking through a TA31 with a green filter on it, for those of you that have 4x32 ACOGs, you know this is no mean feat!

After I've spent some time with the scope, the sage advice and statements from Victor start to make sense.  I believe I can clearly make shots out to 600 or 700yds with ease.  Firstly, I can positively ID the target, secondly, the resolution and clearity of the scope inspire confidence, the equipment (rifle and scope) can do it as long as I don't throw the shots.  It's as if I were doing the shooting in day light, so the oft repeated "turn night into day" is a cliche no longer, but a reality.

The weight is totally accectable.  I don't have a scale, but my US Optics SN3 sure is a lot heavier than the D740.  I want to use the D740 on the MRP, but the cheekweld issue may dictate otherwise.  

In my conversation with Victory last night, he indicated the only way I may get around the cheekweld issue is to either remove the eye cup, but then I'd risk getting hit in the eye by the objective lens because it's difficult to judge the eye relief with a NOD at night, not to mention it'd cast a green light on the face, or get the Magpul's RSS stock.  As I don't intend to use the PRS stock on the MRP setup, I'll just dedicate a rifle for use with the PRS and D740.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top