Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 7:24:48 AM EDT
Are the Simmons Pro-Diamond scopes reliable for a plinker?  I'm looking at the low power variable.

I helped my brother-in-law build a Stag Arms A3 M4gery, and he has a removable carry handle for his main sight.

I have a budget of about 100 bucks, more or less, to get him a range optic.

All I'm looking for is: it won't blow up, reasonably clear, adjusters that work, good overall quality given the intended uses.

Are there other options other than the Leupold shotgun scope (may be an option)?

Burris?
Weaver?

Thanks for the help.

Edits in bold.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
anything else is going to be a couple hundred bucks.  i was also thinking about using one, for a beowulf.  seemed to be more options for a 32 obj than a 20.  if a 32 is ok there was a cool reticle on a mueller.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I like it a lot!!!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, have not mounted it yet, will put it on my midlength when I find the type of mount I want.

It is the 1.5X5 power model.

I want a Larue mount, just cannnot justify the $$$.  One day....

I have a set of throw lever mounts now (cannot think of the name!!) and they are medium height, need the large.

It (the scope) appears to be clear and I do like the diamond shape a lot better than a standard dot.

I got mine from CDNN for $50.00.

Made in the Phillipines rather than China....

For $50.00 I think it is a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I like mine. Wish it had 1/4 moa clicks instead of 1/2.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
They are a really good scope for the money. I had one mounted on one of my ARs in a LaRue mount.

The scope is now on my 10/22. Not that there was anything wrong with the scope, I just changed my mind and or approach to the project I was working on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]

You want the 20, not the 32. The 32 sacrifices FOV.

At 1.5x you will see the front sight as a bad blur in the scope if it's not a fold down. If sunlight reflects off the FSB the blur gets worse.

For $50 it's a great introduction to low power scopes and you will have enough $$ left over for a LaRue SPR mount so you can properly mount it. I forgot that you have a carry handle.

Get a Leatherwood type extended mount and Leupold medium rings.
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=240124
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=722296
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
It's clear, wide view and quick on  target .  It's the best $49.95 scope I ever had. It may not have the hundred dollar clicks but once zeroed in, the diamond does it work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, so what is the best mount for $30-50 that will clear the front sight?  Same criteria..

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The Armalite one piece mount on sale for $55 at ADCO gets my vote!

If that extra $5 is too much for you, PM me and I've got a RRA 1" scope mount EXACTLY like the one Wildearp used on his Simmons above that I could probably part with.  IIRC, they are a TAD taller than the Armalite mount, which is a good thing.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#10]

If you are mounting on the carry handle the one I named above will work fine. It's high enough.

If you have a removable carry handle and want to mount the scope on the flat top receiver the best option is to remove the front sight base and replace it with a fold down model.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top