Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 11:40:39 AM EDT
Im thinking about putting a new rifle together.  Someting w/20in barrel and shooting anything from 55gr up to 75gr, range out to 500yds.  Probably just get RRA A4 upper.  Options Im considering are
Leupold LRM or IOR M2

I really like the CQB reticle that IOR has

Id consider an ACOG, but I want to have the ability to adjust for different bullets
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Im thinking about putting a new rifle together.  Someting w/20in barrel and shooting anything from 55gr up to 75gr, range out to 500yds.  Probably just get RRA A4 upper.  Options Im considering are
Leupold LRM or IOR M2

I really like the CQB reticle that IOR has

Id consider an ACOG, but I want to have the ability to adjust for different bullets

I have an IOR M2 with the CQB reticle.  I've shot is several times over the last seven or eight months.   I haven't been to a super uber-tactical zillion round course with it, but I have a pretty good idea on how it works.  

I like the reticle, but have no idea why they call it the "cqb" reticle - except it maybe sounds cool and tactical.  It is a much better intermediate range scope.  I won't be putting it on my issue AR if I think I'm going through a door (my eotech works fine or that).  As a perimeter gun scope, it's wonderful.  No BAC with this one, so keep the ranges over room clearing range if possible.

The eye relief is good for an AR - fairly short, so no problems mounting with just regular 30mm rings (I went with Warne- I have taken it off and put it back on twice with no loss of zero).  I have been shooting nothing but 69 grainers out of it, and have only shot out to 300 with it.  I zeroed at 100 yds.  At 50, I put the BDC on 200, and it's dead on.  With the BDC on 2 and 3, it's dead on at 200 and 300 respectively.  I don't intend to shoot much further than this with this rifle, but do your own tests.  

The FOV is not as good as say and Accupoint, but the glass is just as good side by side.  The illuminated reticle on max power is not visible in noon-time sun.  The upside down horshoe thingy doesn't light up, but the rest of it does.  It's easy to use in low light.  Apparently, if you leave it on overnight, you'll need a new battery (unknowingly performed this test).  It's no aimpoint on battery life, but I haven't had it go out at the range.  

I don't like the rubber eyepiece doohicky that comes with it - can't get used to it.  I took it off, and threw it in a box.  Butler creeks work fine in the 1.3" size.  

What don't I like?  Well, the eye relief could be 1/2 inch longer, and the fov just a tad wider IMO.  And of course, the rubber eye-cup hoodis wha.  I wish they'd have gone with 1/2 minute adjustments for elevation and windage all the way around, but they did the BDC thing.  It works for what I use, though, so I'm fine with it.

It's obviously built to take abuse, but I haven't abuse it to find out what it will take.  The worst I've done is dropped it on carpet.  I'm not gonna take it out and drive nails with it to test it's durability (I work for a meager living, will never be rich, and try to protect my gear as much as possible - I'll leave the "abuse it to see if it works" tests to people with way more money).  

Here are a few pics with it.

Scope on Armalite 20"

reticle views

200 yard 5-shot group (69gr Fed TRU).  Don't ask why I got two different groups - likely the shooter not the gun or scope - but it's a 4x scope, so not bad).  

3 shots at 100 - same ammo, different day.

Overall, I'm happy with the scope.  I think it's well worth the money, and is a good scope.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for those pics!  I think they used the "CQB" tarm in the name, from the circle in the center of the reticle, seems to me at least.  Any idea of those graduations on the lower crosshair are in mils ?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe they are in mils.  They will work for holdover, but you'll have to figure that one out for yourself - again, I don't plan on shooting real long range with this, and IMO this scope isn't a super precision type deal.

I think there is a guy selling one of these for a pretty good deal on EE if you're interested (I have no affiliation with him, I just happened to see it).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top