Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 4:42:16 AM EDT
I finally got to look through an Eotech yesterday, but I noticed the crosshairs looked slightly fuzzy.  Is it like this on all of the Eotechs, or was there something wrong with this one?  Just wanting to know before I buy it.  The fuzz doesn't bother me much, just wasn't expecting it... and don't want the fuzz if it's not supposed to be like that...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe they're all like that.
Mine is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Here we go again!

Turn the brightness down.  Set the brightness at the low end of what you need to see it and focus on the target, not the reticle.  All will be fine.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here we go again!

Turn the brightness down.  Set the brightness at the low end of what you need to see it, keep both eyes open and focus on the target, not the reticle.  All will be fine.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thankyouberrymush!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#6]
That's normal. No worries.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Perfectly normal, as stated above turn down the brightness.  My 552 Rev.F just came in last week and it's fuzzy like all the rest if you crank up the brightness.

Focker Out!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess maybe I should have clarified this Eotech was not on a firearm, but in my hands.  I wasn't really aiming at anything, just wanted to see what it looked like inside...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I guess maybe I should have clarified this Eotech was not on a firearm, but in my hands.  I wasn't really aiming at anything, just wanted to see what it looked like inside...

Buy one, you'll love it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Here are some reticle pics at a couple different settings.  The second shows the flare.  Something that I've never been able to catch with a camera is the pixelation that your eye sees.  The pixelation is normal and, like several folks have said, not an issue when you're looking at your target with both eyes open.
http://128.83.80.200/shooting/reticle1.jpg

http://128.83.80.200/shooting/reticle2.jpg
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I finally got to look through an Eotech yesterday, but I noticed the crosshairs looked slightly fuzzy.  Is it like this on all of the Eotechs, or was there something wrong with this one?  Just wanting to know before I buy it.  The fuzz doesn't bother me much, just wasn't expecting it... and don't want the fuzz if it's not supposed to be like that...

Thanks!

I solved that problem by purchasing Aimpoints for all my rifles. never a fuzzy problem. I have astigmatism and the fuzzy Eo-ring drives me crazy. If Eotech would make one with just the 1 MOA Dot like some of their earlier models and lose the fuzzsicle I would buy one.  They still sell and early model with the dot only, but the electronics are not waterproof sealed on it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

I solved that problem by purchasing Aimpoints for all my rifles. never a fuzzy problem. I have astigmatism and the fuzzy Eo-ring drives me crazy. If Eotech would make one with just the 1 MOA Dot like some of their earlier models and lose the fuzzsicle I would buy one.  They still sell and early model with the dot only, but the electronics are not waterproof sealed on it.

I must have a case of astigmatism.  Both my aimpoints and EOTech are fuzzy.  They look fine, if i'm peeping through the BUIS aperature and into the optic though.  

The aimpoint looks like a star.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

I must have a case of astigmatism.  Both my aimpoints and EOTech are fuzzy.  They look fine, if i'm peeping through the BUIS aperature and into the optic though.  

Well I find if I trun down the brightness on the AImpoint, the dot becomes very well defined, not fuzzy, but the aimpoint 65MOA ring always is fuzzy to me, even at low brightness. Even focusing beyond it does not work for me. It reminds me of the laser guide pattern you see when giving radiation tratments to patients. Way too distracting for me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I just received my new EoTech 552 rev. F and it looks like a slinky coiled around a big dot. Most of the time I can't tell where the circle is or the dot, it's just 1 big red fuzzy 'circle' shape.

If I'd have known about the astigmatism issue I probably wouldn't have bought it, since I have a slight astigmatism.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Well I find if I trun down the brightness on the AImpoint, the dot becomes very well defined, not fuzzy, but the aimpoint 65MOA ring always is fuzzy to me, even at low brightness. Even focusing beyond it does not work for me. It reminds me of the laser guide pattern you see when giving radiation tratments to patients. Way too distracting for me.

I know.  Same thing.  It's a day and night difference for me when i peep through the buis aperature.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#18]
brightness abjustment, i find that you need to adjust it per shooting session for best results.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#19]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just received my new EoTech 552 rev. F and it looks like a slinky coiled around a big dot. Most of the time I can't tell where the circle is or the dot, it's just 1 big red fuzzy 'circle' shape.

I'm in about the same situation here, the picture is totally unacceptable without corrective lenses.  With my contacts it's alot better thankfully.  Had I known this before I probably would've gotten an ACOG like I really wanted anyway.  That's how it is when you live in the woods and you don't have the means of checking one out before you buy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#22]
This is how it should look to you, when you've got your rifle trained on the mall ninja, if you've got it cranked up all the way.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This is how it should look to you, when you've got your rifle trained on the mall ninja, if you've got it cranked up all the way.
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/apollotop/eotechflaminghoopninja.jpg

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/apollotop/eotechflaminghoopninja.jpg

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Personally, the reason I want an EOtech instead of an Aimpoint is because of the big ring.  Any serious work that my AR will see will be CQB ranges where that big ring will proove very usefull, and I doubt that the "flare" will make much, if any difference.  Hell, I'd love it to be fuzzy, as long as it was very visable while being placed over the target.  I'd rather have a very visable, kinda fuzzy sight, than a harder to find, very sharp POA at cqb ranges....speed is more important than super sniper accuracy.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]
No fuzziness with my new 512.  It is, however, very pixelated looking...even when focusing on the target.  and not the reticle directly.  This is normal from what I understand?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
No fuzziness with my new 512.  It is, however, very pixelated looking...even when focusing on the target.  and not the reticle directly.  This is normal from what I understand?

Yep. It takes some getting used to.  Works great if you can tolerate it though. There was a pic of a DM in Afghanistan a while back that had more kills in theatre than any one in his unit - he was using an Eotech mounted on his M14 rather than magnifed optics. definitely works, just the annoyance factor to put up with.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Agreed.  Will take some getting used to, appears to be just a minor annoyance really.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I finally got to look through an Eotech yesterday, but I noticed the crosshairs looked slightly fuzzy.  quote]

Congratulations, you have astigmatism.  The suggestions above help, but the real answer is optical correction which your optometrist can organize.  In my case, the Eotech is fuzzy, but the ACOG is crystal clear.  Guess which I'm using.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I finally got to look through an Eotech yesterday, but I noticed the crosshairs looked slightly fuzzy.  quote]

Congratulations, you have astigmatism.  The suggestions above help, but the real answer is optical correction which your optometrist can organize.  In my case, the Eotech is fuzzy, but the ACOG is crystal clear.  Guess which I'm using.  Good luck.

Yep ACOG is sweet, will be awhile at $800 tho.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#31]
This is the best photo I've found to illustrate what the EOTech reticle looks like when you focus on a target. (Although it's a little too bright and would appear sharper if he turned it down a brightness setting or two).  If you try to focus on the reticle while holding the EOTech in your hands, your eyes might actually focus on the sight housing and the reticle will appear be out of focus -"fuzzy".  The reticle is actually 3-dimensional and focused at infinity.  Focus on the target when you look through the EOTech and it will be sharp like the photo - unless you are near sighted or have bad astigmatism.

The fact that the reticle remains in focus with the target (as can be seen in this photo) allows the shooter to concentrate his attention (visual focus) on the threat.  If you had to focus on your front sight post (at bottom of photo) your threat/target would go out of focus momentarily.  With iron sights your eye must focus back and forth between your front sight post and your target.  This is why the EOTech sights are so fast and accurate.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#32]
If you focus on the reticle it will look fuzzy.  Focus at a distance, not up close.

If you are nearsighted, wear your glasses and look at a distant object.  The reticle should be sharp under those conditions.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top