Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2005 8:48:23 PM EDT
Setting up an AR15 Low style Flattop reciever and need some recommendations on a good set of rings. Will be mounting a Bushnell 3200 scope on the receiver rail.  Do I need to go with a low, med, or high rings?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For the best cheekweld, you'll need rings high enough to place the scope as close to the height of iron sights as possible; that counts out low rings altogether, unless you use a riser of some sort. I personally use ARMS #22H rings, but the Larue 1-pc mount is also very popular. Badger Ordnance and Warne also make very good quality rings, too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
larue tactical spr mount
badger ordinance high's/ extra high's
nightforce has a split ring mount as well.

your main problem will be getting a good cheekweld with lower rings
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I use Warnes Maxima Ultra High rings to mount a Leupold on my flat top.  Their site is here.  Call them to get their recommendation on height for the scope you want to mount.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to www.midwayusa.com.  Look in the upper right hand corner for the search box.  Seach on the words "ring" and "picatinny" at the same time.  It will bring up a list of compatible rings with a flat-top AR.  Take your pick, but remember, if you go cheap, you will get what you pay more.... I'm not saying buy the most expensive ring on the list, but you get my drift.

I've never mounted a scope on a flat-top, so I can't recommend a ring height.   The only suggestion I have is go with an aluminum ring to save weight and resist corrosion.  Aluminum is good enough to make the scope body out of, so it would surely be suitable for holding it in place.  Those Leupold Mark 4 rings look tough as nails, but I ain't used them so that's just a guess, and they are a little pricey.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I favor Burris Signature Zee rings.  They have floating plastic bushings that eliminate stress on the scope tube (no lapping needed) and they make an extra-high version that is just right for mounting on a flat top.  Offset bushings are available that allow you to mechanically center the scope, leavung you with the full range of adjustment.  However, mounting directly to the upper will usually put the scope too far back, especially in prone.  Rail extenders are available from a number of sources that let you mount the scope in the correct position; they're usuallly 1/2" high and work well with medium-height rings.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top