Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 2:36:41 PM EDT

I thought I remembered hearing about the EOtechs w/ out the 65moa ring, just the small dot.

I need a 552, but without the ring.  Do they exist and what is the model #?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The only EOtech without the ring is the 510.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I thought I remembered hearing about the EOtechs w/ out the 65moa ring, just the small dot.

I need a 552, but without the ring.  Do they exist and what is the model #?

EOTech offers the 511(Model 511.D1)  with just a 1 MOA dot, but not the 552.

The 65 MOA circle is what makes the EOTech so fast on target.  It's large and your eye aquires it instantly and you instinctively place the circle over the center of mass of the target.  Inside 50 meters, the ring is all you need for fast snap shooting.  I wouldn't recommend getting the 511.D1 because you lose the speed advantage the circle affords.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Makes no sense.  Would be difficult in CQB applications, and at distances where the precision of the 1 MOA dot would come into play, you are in holdover situation where the ghosting of the dot makes precision more difficult.  Plus, to minimize ghosting you need to focus on the target, with both eyes open -- again, not the optimal technique when longer distance, precision aiming is required.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Well, it is not for me.  I use an aimpoint.

Another member of the entry team was inquiring about such a sight.

Many of us dislike the EOtech standard reticle b/c it is too busy and distracting.  Even in CQB, we don't typically take "snap" shots.  Quick, yet precise targeting is necessary.  This is especially evident when doing hostage rescue, which is the training we were doing when this came up.  

Anyways, he likes the EOtech, except for the ring.  I figured if he used the dot-only model and just cranked it up pretty bright, he would have no problem seeing it.

CSgunworks, so the only model available is the non-night vision model?  If so, this may disqualify the sight.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Many of us dislike the EOtech standard reticle b/c it is too busy and distracting.

I loved my EOTech, never let me down, but this too used to bug me at times. I’ve just recently made the switch to Aimpoint on both my CAR and M4gery.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel the Eotech being too busy is a training issue, however, I've been talking with a few people who feel that there is no reason for Eotech to not have the ability to switch the 65MOA circle off.

I tend to agree, and think that battery life would be greatly enhanced with this as an option.  If Eotech is smart, they will pick up on this as it shouldn't cost much to alter their current spec, and battery life is one of their larger draw backs.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top