Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 9:03:32 AM EDT
OK, I have a Rock River Arms AR15 with the EOP, which is an "elevated optics platform". The EOP is sort of a riser block that has a rear sight built into it.

The rifle is just an entry level, 16" with just the midlength forearm grip,... no extra rails or anthing.

I've been told that an Aimpoint is about all that will work with this EOP.

I've been reading everthing I've seen for months about how to equip with sights, lights, or night vision.... I'm to the point where I'm a little overwhelmed! (Wow, I've also come to realize that some fellows sure do have a lot of money to spend on accessories!)

I'm thinking about putting just a basic Aimpoint on for a sight, and just a basic white light... lots of good comments about the Surefire brand.

I'm not military, para-military, law-enforcement, sniper, hard-core bugout type survivalist, or any kind of "wannabe". Just a civilian that wants to have something that would work in the dark in a surburban home environment "just in case".

So, what think ye,... good idea, bad idea?

Please suggest which Aimpoint model, what kind of mount will work on the RRA EOP, maybe which vendor(s).  

I'll post something about the light in the other forum, but if anyone is on a roll, I'd appreciate advice on the light and mount also.

Suggestions appreciated.

JerryinPA
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Need just a bit more information.  RRA's can come with three types of carry handles.
1) One specifically designed for the EOTech sight.  It does not have a series of 1913 cuts.
2) One that is called "Tactical Carry Handle" that has 1913 cuts along the front portion and then the built in rear BUIS.
3) The "standard" AR-15/M-16 type carry handle.

I had the TCH and also had problems mounting my Aimpoint.  Ditched the TCH and used an A.R.M.S. 22M68 mount with a cantilever extension.

ADCO is the way to go.
www.adcofirearms.com/

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Need just a bit more information.  RRA's can come with three types of carry handles.
1)
2) One that is called "Tactical Carry Handle" that has 1913 cuts along the front portion and then the built in rear BUIS.
3)

I had the TCH and also had problems mounting my Aimpoint.  Ditched the TCH and used an A.R.M.S. 22M68 mount with a cantilever extension.hewww.adcofirearms.com/
hr

I guess I admitted that I am an absolute beginner... this being my first AR15...  When I bought this rifle at a local gunshow, the dealer said it had an "EOP".  Now that I'm learning, he told me wrong, and what I actually have is a "LE Tactical Carbine".   It is a flat top, and it has a  removeable "Tactical Carry Handle".  This TCH has a built in rear sight.

So, now that I'm at least figuring out how to correctly describe what I have, what would work best to put an Aimpoint and a white light on it?

Should I just get rid of the TCH?

Sorry to be so stupid, and thanks for being so patient.

JerryinPA
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Jerry,
See the URLs listed below.  RRA does have an EOP platform, see number 1.  Number 2 shows their "normal" carry handles and 3 is their one for the EOTech.  If you have the first, your options may be limited since you won't (or shouldn't) need/use any riser or spacer.  

1) www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0510X&storeid=1&image=uveop.gif&CFID=5360443&CFTOKEN=33769181
2) www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0052CASY&storeid=1&image=chndls.gif&CFID=5360443&CFTOKEN=33769181
3) www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0125EASSY&storeid=1&image=rrdom.gif&CFID=5360443&CFTOKEN=33769181

I had the TCH shown in #2 and removed it.  I now use an A.R.M.S. 22M68 base and w their cantilever extension and the Aimpoint ML3-2moa.  I also added a GG$G A2 style rear BUIS.  I can quickly remove the Aimpoint and mount my tactical scope using the RRA riser base.

Not sure if this helps or not.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top