Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2005 4:38:27 AM EDT
I am in the middle of a build and I have a scope ring question. I am going to be putting a low power variable magnification scope (probably a Meopta 1-4x or Trijicon TR21, etc) on an upper that is equipped with a Vltor CASV. Since the CASV has an uninterrupted top rail that is raised, I assume I do not want extremely high rings. What height ring should I run on this raised rail to get a proper cheek weld?

Thanks,
Matt
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]
My Mamba one-piece scope mount has a height of 1.3" mounted directly to the flat-top. It's about a low as one can get comfortably on a factory Colt A2 stock.

Perhaps this info is of some use to ya.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The stock used is an ACE ARFX if that helps. Thanks for the info mr_wilson, that helps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yo,
Besides keeping in mind the comfort of your cheek weld, the important thing is to mount the scope as low as possible to keep the Line of Sight (the path of your vision) as close to the Line of Departure (the path of the bullet.) Normally, you only need to clear the objective of the scope. so if your scope has a 32 mm objective, you would use Low  height rings. If your scope has a 40 mm objective, you would use medium height rings. This is just a general rule of thumb.
After choosing the lowest ring height you need to clear the objective and mounting the scope, then see if you'll need a cheek piece. If you have to mount high, it would be best to use a cheek piece, so that your eye is inline with the center of the axis of the scope. If your eye is off center, then you will induce more parallax error.
Hope this helps.
Bill
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good...

So my biggest consideration is the size of the objective so I can mount as close as possible to the bore line? That makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Correctomundo.
Now have fun shooting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to www.midwayusa.com. Look in the upper right hand corner for the search box. Seach on the words "ring" and "picatinny" at the same time. It will bring up a list of compatible rings with a flat-top AR. Hope this helps.  Got this info from another Team Member and just passing it on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! I have already ordered rings that I know will work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#8]
the important thing is to mount the scope as low as possible to keep the Line of Sight (the path of your vision) as close to the Line of Departure (the path of the bullet.)

This is often stated, and while not wrong, just not important.

For the AR-15 you just cannot get a good cheek weld and head position with the scope mounted "as low as possible".

For most scopes on the AR-15 I find the Armalite scope mount on an A3 upper works well.  It puts the centerline of the scope at the same height as the A2 iron sights, and has enough forward offset to allow good eye relief on most scopes.

With your Vltor rail, try to duplicate A2 sight height.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that with the rail and medium height rings, it will be pretty close to ideal.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Regarding Line of Sight to Line of Departure, well, A_Free_Man is right. However, it does matter to your Point Blank range.

If you want a Battle Field Zero type of Point Blank range then your Sight Height should be high. This will extend your Point Blank range which is good if all you need to do is to hit a man size target anywhere on the body.

But, if you're going hunting for animals where you as the shooter are ethically bound to make a debilitating shot the first time, then it's a different ball game.

If you need more information, here's a link to Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-blank_range

Also, canting the weapon is about the worse thing you can do. That is tilting the weapon right or left of the vertical bore. Here's a link to results of a test conducted by Dutch air gunners: home-2.worldonline.nl/~jhogema/cantexp2/cantlos.htm

Merry Christmas y'all
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top