Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 3:21:41 AM EDT
I have an EOTech 512 Rev. F.  The reticle would disappear after each shot then slowly come back to full brightness after about 5 seconds.  I am going to call Eotech, but was wandering if anyone has heard of this? I didn’t see anything under the search.

I am wonder if the cold affected it. It was 28 degrees when I started shooting after it warmed up into the 40’s, the problem went away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Batteries.

If you are running Alkalines in the cold - stop - and get Lithiums.

Weak batteries will produce the 'reticle disapearring' trick when you fire - I'd imagine in the cold this would be more noticable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm having the same problem with my relatively new 551. I guess it's time to buy a set of Lithiums. I replaced the stock batteries after my first range trip with it because of this problem. Now it happened again less than two weeks later.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm having the same problem with my relatively new 551. I guess it's time to buy a set of Lithiums. .

Good Luck, as far as I know nobody makes N sized lithiums.

The 5x2 models are for serious use - much longer battery life and easy availability of Lithium AAs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the infomation. I'll give the Lithiums a try.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm having the same problem with my relatively new 551. I guess it's time to buy a set of Lithiums. I replaced the stock batteries after my first range trip with it because of this problem. Now it happened again less than two weeks later.

I've gotten batterys fresh off the shelf that were pretty weak, even ones that were supposedly well within their user date.  Try another set and see how they do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Would NiMH (rechargeables) suffer from the same problem in the cold that alkalines do?

I'm leaning towards the AA version because I already use rechargeables in all my remotes/electronics.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Would NiMH (rechargeables) suffer from the same problem in the cold that alkalines do?

Yes, NiMH has reduced performce below 32deg F, the same as Alkaline.  

The good news is NiCad works better in cold (about 4 below zero deg F), the bad news is NiCad doesn't have nearly the capacity of NiMH.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I called EOTech yesterday. They said the same thing: Alkalines, low temperature & batteries at low strength (but above the point where the EOTech will flash to warn you that they are low).  They said that if I’m going to be in the cold weather to switch to Lithiums: a lot more battery life & more tolerant to low temperatures.  

The Lithium batteries will probably address my concerns, but I am not totally happy about this answer.  The first indications that I knew there was a problem was after my first shot. That wouldn’t be too good in combat.  Luckily, I’m a wannabe range commando, which meant that I went home early & eat some popcorn.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes, NiMH has reduced performce below 32deg F, the same as Alkaline.  

The good news is NiCad works better in cold (about 4 below zero deg F), the bad news is NiCad doesn't have nearly the capacity of NiMH.

That sucks. I may not be always shooting in extreme temperatures, but living in NJ this is a concern of mine.

DeMarcus, Any luck with the replacement batteries? Have you tried the lithium batteries yet?

^_^_^
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I called EOTech yesterday. They said the same thing: Alkalines, low temperature & batteries at low strength (but above the point where the EOTech will flash to warn you that they are low).  They said that if I’m going to be in the cold weather to switch to Lithiums: a lot more battery life & more tolerant to low temperatures.  

The Lithium batteries will probably address my concerns, but I am not totally happy about this answer.  The first indications that I knew there was a problem was after my first shot. That wouldn’t be too good in combat.  Luckily, I’m a wannabe range commando, which meant that I went home early & eat some popcorn.  

I've had Rev D,E and now F 552's and I've always used Energizer Lithium AA's and have never experienced any power issues with any my EOTechs.

With the rev F 512/552 the Lithiums AA's last a very long time, the battery time is basically on par with the Aimpoint ML2/M2.  Also to be on the safe side I change my Lithium AA's once per year and have an extra set in my TD Battlegrip.  

Another nice thing about the Lithium AA's is that it simplfies my battery storage logistics because it's the same battery I use for my digital cameras and other electronics.

I really believe that using Energizer Lithium AA's is the key to making the EOTech as reliable as possible under all conditions.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DeMarcus, Any luck with the replacement batteries? Have you tried the lithium batteries yet?

I just bought some at lunch - 8 Energizer Lithium AA's for $17

Originally By Yojimbo:
With the rev F 512/552 the Lithiums AA's last a very long time, the battery time is basically on par with the Aimpoint ML2/M2.

I know Rev F's are 1000 hrs at middle setting with Lithiums & Aimpoint M2's are 10,000 hrs at lowest setting.  I cannot find the post, but I thought the Aimpoint M2 was 1000 hrs at highest setting & around 3000 hrs at middle setting.

Does any one have the actual numbers to make an apple-to-apple comparison? (M3 numbers would also be nice, but I don't own one yet)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top