Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 9:16:09 AM EDT
I am having an AR15 built for me right now, and I am deciding what type of optic I want to put on it.  I just cannot really figure out what exactly I want to put on it so I thought that I would solicit opinions.  It is a 16" midlength with a 1/7 twist.

It will primarily be used for target shooting.  It will also likely be used as a home defense weapon since I have no better option at the moment and it would also be my SHTF weapon (but I sincerely doubt that it will ever be used in this manner).  Basically, I want an optic that is versatile enough to fill multiple uses.

As of right now, the farthest distance I can shoot is 100 yards, but before too long, hopefully I will be able to start shooting at pretty much any distance.

The two primary options that I am considering is either an Aimpoint or an ACOG.  I am willing to consider a rifle scope but that just does not seem as versatile an option to me, and it is not as useful on a 16" rifle.

I would consider paying up to the price of an ACOG but I don't really know if they are worth the price that they are charged.  However, if I would end up getting the 3X magnifier for the Aimpoints, but it would bring the price to the same level as an ACOG.

Are ACOG's really worth the money? Or would I be better off just getting an Aimpoint and possibly upgrading later?  I would like to get the rifle set up and not have to mess with it in the future.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Find some fellow AR shooters in your area or a local shop that will let you look though the optics and see which one you like better.  I have used Aimpoints for a few years now and I like them.  The Eotech sites are the current rave, but I don't care for the reticle.  It boils down to personal preference.  You can't go wrong with an Aimpoint, Eotech or Acog.  I have no direct experience with Acogs but many here have.  Do a search on here for the sites you mention and you will enless discussions on the topic.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 I would like to get the rifle set up and not have to mess with it in the future.

Not mess with it in the future?  
You haven't got black rifle disease yet or you're in a massive state of denial and haven't even began to learn the 12 steps of AR Anonymous.

Well, anyway, here are some options from a confirmed AR addict.

If it's an A2 , which it probably isn't, here is the best option unless you want one of those funky brackets that go over the handguard for an Aimpoint or Eotech.

TA31 ACOG

If it's a flat-top the list is long and this one is incomplete.

Aimpoint

Aimpoint + Magnifier

TA31F ACOG

Leupold 3-9 Illuminated Variable

Nightforce NSX 3.5-15X50 Illuminated Variable

Now I haven't shown my 4X Night Optics 740D 3A Generation III or my MUM night vision monocular because,     well,      because I haven't got them yet, but at least one will be forthcoming right after the new year.

Hopefully, some of the other members will be along and show you the Shortdot, Eotech, and other terrific options.  There are also several threads on all of these issues, read them well, try as many as you can, then buy the one that you like the most.
For me, if I could have only one, it would be my Nightforce and iron sights, next in line would be the Aimpoint & Magnifier on the Samson Flip Mount.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
If the majority of your shooting will be 100yds
or less, I'd say an ACOG would not be necessary.
An Aimpoint or an EO Tech would be great.
If you need to reach out beyond 150yds, then yes
opt for an ACOG, they are a wonderful optic.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I just love Edwin907's pictures...
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I certainly do have the black rifle disease.  I do not want to mess with this one much in the future because I already have very good parts and components on it so there is not very much to upgrade in some areas.  But I should add that this is my fourth AR, and my entire goal when picking out what to put on it was to make it so that there is not very much I could do to it in the future.  I have not really worried too much about the question of optics with my other AR's and they basically have either scopes or iron sights on them.  I have tried the EOTech and did not care for it.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I certainly do have the black rifle disease.  I do not want to mess with this one much in the future because I already have very good parts and components on it so there is not very much to upgrade in some areas.  But I should add that this is my fourth AR, and my entire goal when picking out what to put on it was to make it so that there is not very much I could do to it in the future.

Then do what I did, multiple optics like I have for both my 20" (ACOG & Nightforce) and my MRP (Aimpoint/Magnifier & Leupold MR/T), or go with a Shortdot
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes-Excellent Pictures
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
TA11F  It is well suited for all your intended uses.  I am assuming you have a flat top?

Gary
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
There are so many options it is somewhat overwelming. At this point I like the 1X4 power scope on my Flat Tops the best, but I'm just getting a good start on trying diff stuff.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If you like shooting things smaller that a human silhoutte, I'd go for the ACOG. I love my aimpoint, but prefer magnification or even irons for long distance or small objects. I like ACOGs on midlengths, and aimpoints on 14.5" M4geries.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top