Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2005 2:02:13 PM EDT
Anyone use a Doctor for their primary red dot? I am thinking about buying one for its low profile. I have also heard somewhere that they are always on once the batteries are in and that there is no off switch.

Anywho thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The constant on is more or less accurate.  I've not run one as a primary sight really but I do use one continuously atop a TA01NSN model ACOG and it's been fantastic there.  To be more specific I bought the J Point version from Grant along with the mount quite some time back and it's all performed perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
iirc there is no on/off switch and the cover itself is the switch.
there are some here that run the doctor/jpoint as the primary optic
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]

iirc there is no on/off switch and the cover itself is the switch.

Correct. I have a friend who runs one as his primary on a J&T build. It is quiet small as you would expect given it's intended role. I have shot it a few times and it worked great at a 25 yard indoor range. Coming from low ready I was able to keep a fist-sized group firing a rapid string. I do not know first-hand how they perform outside, and I am a little concerned about their durability - which should not be an issue if this is just going to be a range rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used the 3.5 MOA dot version to make hits on steel out to about 125 yards in 3Gun matches.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a Docter as my primary, but I do so on a SIG 229R DAK.  Has worked well for me and it takes tons of abuse.  Check it out http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/GPSIG/DSC00683.jpg
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]

I highly recommend Dr. Optic......J-point is also a winner..... I use both as primary.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I run a Docter as my primary, but I do so on a SIG 229R DAK.  Has worked well for me and it takes tons of abuse.  Check it out i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/GPSIG/DSC00683.jpg

How well the does the Dr. Optic handle the abuse of one handed manipulations such as being used on the belt, holster or boot heel to work the slide?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
GIDDS-45,

What kind of mount is on the Hk?

Thanks in advance,
PBR
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
whoops, sleepwalking.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
GIDDS-45,

What kind of mount is on the Hk?

Thanks in advance,
PBR

It is an Aristocrat. Purchased from Brownells a while ago.

(KnifeSniper....I dont mean to hi-jack)....The ARMS 17 mount is awsome...The body of the Doctor almost disappears.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:09:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I run a Docter as my primary, but I do so on a SIG 229R DAK.  Has worked well for me and it takes tons of abuse.

How well the does the Dr. Optic handle the abuse of one handed manipulations such as being used on the belt, holster or boot heel to work the slide?

No problem with using the sight to operate the slide, the metal cover extends past the optic -- so as long as the boot sole isn't too soft you don't touch the glass.  On leather or holster there is no issue, it is fully protected.  I slingshot the slide every time (lefty), so the sight is getting grabbed and abused all the time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]
It really needs some kind of metal walled mount for serious use in my opinion.  The cover does NOT act as an off switch as others have stated, it only covers the light sensor which reduces it to half power, same as if you put your rifle in a case or safe.  The cover would be better if you cut holes in it so the optic could be used with the cover on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top