Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 9:36:05 PM EDT
We have Government furnished ELCAN 145's for use by SF and light fighters and I am not sure why they would want one rather than a Aimpoint on an AR.  I know we use them on M249 and M240 guns since the reticle is a machine gun one.  Anyone use on on an AR and have a comment I would like to know.

The Army Owns the Night
God Bless America and God please keep blessing Texas
Very Respectfully,
David
South West Asia
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We have Government furnished ELCAN 145's for use by SF and light fighters and I am not sure why they would want one rather than a Aimpoint on an AR.  I know we use them on M249 and M240 guns since the reticle is a machine gun one.  Anyone use on on an AR and have a comment I would like to know.

1) An Aimpoint is not magnified. An Elcan is. So, I imagine that if said soldiers wanted a magnified optic, Elcan might come to mind, while Aimpoint would not.

2) The M4 variant has a different reticle than the LMG variant. A third reticle, tritium rather than battery powered, is in use by Canadian forces. The Dutch and Danes also use Elcans, but I don't know which reticle.

3) I like mine because of the amazing glass (very forgiving eye placement, eye relief, clarity, and light gathering), and because BAC doesn't BAC for me. Still, I like my TA01NSN as much, if not more, and it is lighter and cheaper. Doesn't mean I will be selling the Elcans anytime soon, though.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyone use on on an AR and have a comment I would like to know.

Joe (of the boomershoot just had his ELCAN fail. Apparently the BDC has come loose and as a result the reticule is no longer held in place. His is the first failure of an ELCAN I have heard of.

I suspect the reason you standardized on the ELCAN optics is for commonality of parts and training. I like them very much - well, liked them. I like my Trijicon much more
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top