Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2005 3:29:58 PM EDT
Does anyone know  if these new scopes really are big improvements in technology or is this just a marketing ploy?
I know that Meade now owns both brands, and they are a pretty big company with lots of optical expertise, so maybe they brought some of that experience into redesigning the rifle scope.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the new Simmons and/or Redfield range finders?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Availability of the Simmons Master Series is still pretty sketchy; most models on Midway are still listed as "coming soon".  They only have about 6 in stock right now, spread out over a few models.  

They don't have any of the new Redfields.  It may take a while for us normal folks to see any of these scopes.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Read elsewhere that Meade/Simmons is having serious quality control issues with the new scopes because of the "new" manufacturing facility in China. This was actually an existing plant that was retooled when purchased. As a result, Meade stock took a pretty hard hit.

Simmons really dropped the ball and will miss a complete hunting season despite heavy advertising dollars already spent hyping this year's release of scopes. A few of the low end ones are available at Wal-Marts, and I have seen one Pro Sport model at the Scheels in Sioux City.

When looking for a quality scope for my Ruger 77/22, I went with a Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5-7x . This scope is made in Japan by Light Optical Works, the same place that mades the high end Bushnells.  Weaver makes a really nice, clear scope for the money. The gurus at rimfirecentral.com rate the Weavers even with Leupolds for a lot less money.

If you need a scope, there are plenty of good ones out there in all price ranges. I have had good luck with Tasco World Class (older one made in Japan), Bushnell Banner (Korea) and Weaver (Japan). I try not to buy stuff made in China.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Read elsewhere that Meade/Simmons is having serious quality control issues with the new scopes because of the "new" manufacturing facility in China. This was actually an existing plant that was retooled when purchased. As a result, Meade stock took a pretty hard hit.

Simmons really dropped the ball and will miss a complete hunting season despite heavy advertising dollars already spent hyping this year's release of scopes. A few of the low end ones are available at Wal-Marts, and I have seen one Pro Sport model at the Scheels in Sioux City.

When looking for a quality scope for my Ruger 77/22, I went with a Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5-7x . This scope is made in Japan by Light Optical Works, the same place that mades the high end Bushnells.  Weaver makes a really nice, clear scope for the money. The gurus at rimfirecentral.com rate the Weavers even with Leupolds for a lot less money.

If you need a scope, there are plenty of good ones out there in all price ranges. I have had good luck with Tasco World Class (older one made in Japan), Bushnell Banner (Korea) and Weaver (Japan). I try not to buy stuff made in China.

Don't forget Sightron...they make a 3x9x49 mildot model, the S1, that is around $120 or so.  It's made in Japan...I got one from Midway, the dealer price is $102, and it's an great little scope for not a whole lot of money, even thought the mil dots aren't true mil dots.  

I just got Weaver Classic V 2x7x33 (or something like that).  It's actually clearer than my Accupoint, judging my the ability to read the license plate of a car down the street hehe.    

I'd put my Grand Slam up against any VARI X 3 Leupold makes.  

I agree with you to avoid Chinese made stuff, when for a few $$ more, you can get Japanese quality.  I know there are a lot of folks here who poo poo anything that isn't Leupold, but if you're on a budget, and $800 scope isn't an option.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top