Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2005 9:28:21 PM EDT
I personally like the "look" of having a optic mounted in the center or rear of the upper receiver, but i've noticed that almost everyone tries to mount their EOtech/Aimpoint as far foward as possible.

What is the benefits of this?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
None. A lot of people claim they work best that way, but in my experience as well as that of some who ought to know (instructors I have talked to) its actually faster when the dot is to the rear. At least with aimpoints.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
mounting it forward has more to co-witnessing the irons with the dot
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
mounting it forward has more to co-witnessing the irons with the dot

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Faster out front for CQB, drawback is it is less accurate for longer range
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is like that so I can utilize my magnifier when desired.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it because it gives me a clearer view of the area around the target and lets me move from target to target faster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is mounted forward because thats how they look on TV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#8]
How it looks is unimportant. How it works is.

Further forward for unmagnified optics allows you to keep both eyes open and focus on the target. It opens up your field of view and helps you stay on target. It may alter the balance of the weapon slightly by shifting the weight forward, but that is no big deal.

Positioning of magnified optics is usually a function of eye relief or available mounting hardware. Put it where you can see it, and or where you can see it properly with a good consistent cheek weld.

I have never met an instructor that advocates moving the optic back. But the important thing is that you actually try it out, and practice a lot. Then use what really works for you. It may or may not be what looks good or cool, but function is more important then appearance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have mine mounted forward so I have room for my Mini14.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Forward mounting makes the housing of the weapon cover less of your FOV.

Mounting forward has ZERO impact on accuracy as the dot is the same size relative to the target no matter where you mount it.

Mounting forward leaves room for NV or magnifier.

Drawback to forward mounting is a smaller angle (FOV) to be able to see the reticle and shift in balance of weapon.

You want to mount it forward till the housing disappears when you use both eyes and you can mount crap behind the optic and no further forward.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#11]

I've tried an Aimpoint on the handguards as well as the receiver.  I preferred it on the receiver...not sure why exactly but it worked better for me.  YMMV

I'd say try both and see what YOU like the best.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Faster out front for CQB, drawback is it is less accurate for longer range

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I put my reflex sights at the front of the receiver. They are fastest that way, in both handling and reticle aquisition.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmm, thanks for the responses, i did not know mounting optics far foward would make acquisition faster.

I will probably just mount the Eotech as far fowards on the receiver as possible, which is kind of a compromise between the two schools of thought
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Try it in several different locations.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mine is mounted forward because thats how they look on TV.

Honesty award of the day.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top