Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2005 7:55:33 PM EDT
Hello guys,

I have been looking into the various EOtech models and am slightly confused by the different options.  I think it is pretty simple, but there are so many different numbers, dots, numbers after the dots and letters, I don't want to end up with the wrong model.

Does it basically boil down to this:

Within each group, 510's or 550's you can get one with either N bateries for 200 hours or AA for 1100 hours operation.  Also, it seems like all have the standard recticle but some have single dot option. And the 550's have night vision compatibility.

Also, what is your experience with the N bateries?  Is 200 hours adequate for operation taking to the field and range every few weeks?

Also II, what is the "New" 500 model.  They are about $50.00 bucks less than the others but seem to have the same features.  Is there a significant shortcomming with these versions?  

Lastly, what is the Sage and Less-Lethal options?  I can't find any descriptions of these.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 512 and love it, I opted out of the 511 as the N batteries can be a pain to find at a regular store. The 500 model does not have the "roll-bar" if it is dropped it's broken. No idea on the sage and the less lethal is made for less-lethal apps, has a weird reticle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The current version of EOtech is the "Revision F" (Across all numbers). The single dot (or diamond) version is all the way back at "Revision A" but can still be had for $215 here: www.gandrtactical.com/eotech.htm.

IMO, you should stick with the ring and dot recticle. It's what makes the EOtech... well, an EOtech. The Rev A is essentially a bushnell holosight. No protective hood, no rubber buttons, etc.

I also personally reccomend the AA EOtech. It's only a tad more expensive, but 1100 hrs vs 200 hrs of battery life is a big difference. The N-Cell does let you move it a little further forward if you're mounting directly on the rail though. But IMO the AA is still far enough forward for good balance and there's plenty of room behind it for any BUIS you desire.

Edit. I just re-read your post. If it's just for range use, 200 hours should be fine. Whichever model you get, always carry spare batteries or have a BUIS. You don't want a range trip killed by dead batteries!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 511A65 model. I have never ran into a dead battery issue on the range. The sight will flash when turned on, indicating a low battery, but even then I just keep blasting and change batteries when I get home.

I do carry an extra set on the weapon, but again the EOTech has never let me down.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]
This is the main reason I opted to sell off my EOTech; lack of battey life.

(although this was prior to the "F" version 1100 hours, still figuring 8 hours a day the EO will need new batts around evey 4.5 months or 3 times a year)

I was changing "AA" batts every 2 months and sooner on the non-"F" model EO, while my Aimpoints only have to be changed ONCE a year.

Nothing whatsoever wrong w/ the EOTech as an optic, it's fast and tough, but my Aimpoints were much less bother battery wise, so I sold the EO and purchased another Aimpoint.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, since you're in Colorado, if you do any shooting in the winter, or cold in general, the 512/552 with the AA batteries will last longer. Thats one of the main reaons I got the 512. I plan on doing a lot of winter shooting and some coyote hunting so I needed something that wouldn't crap out on me because its cold out.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
About to purchase my first EOtech, not sure which model yet. But is there any realistic way of protecting them from dropage ?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
protecting them from droppage?

first, dont drop it.

second, it has a little protective shieldy hood thingy that can withstand most impacts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
About to purchase my first EOtech, not sure which model yet. But is there any realistic way of protecting them from dropage ?

Mine survived a 3-4 foot drop test.    

Held the zero and works just fine.  And that was a few months ago.  Pretty tough little optic.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#10]
"Lastly, what is the Sage and Less-Lethal options? I can't find any descriptions of these."

Sage is a company that makes a less leathal projectial launcher. eotech makes a model that has a diffrent sight picture that is designed for the rounds that the laucher fires.

pic of LL sight
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The EOTechs are tough little optics!

In the excitement to mount mine the day I bought it…..I accidentally knocked it off my work bench!
It survived the 3 ft fall to the floor and the bounce which sent it sliding under the work bench!

That’s why investing in good optics is a wise decision. It’s not preparing for what you think might happen to them, but being prepared for the unexpected, which for me was before I even got the thing mounted!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I would say go with the 55X due to the NV capabilities. Even if you dont have NV you probably will someday. Personally I am waiting for the 553 cause of the better mount.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top