Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:12:18 AM EDT
I did a search but didn't get an answer to this so here goes.....I have the Aimpoint ML2 (4MOA dot), the model without the nightvision settings. With a fresh battery settings 1-3 on the dot brightness are non existant for the most part (even in low to no light situations). Even the settings from 4-6 are somewhat worthless. I find the top 3 settings to be the only settings worth using. The brightest setting is extreamly bright (too bright for most light situations) so I'm wondering why 3/4 of all the settings on this sight are so dim.
I guess the question is, how many of you using this sight tend to only use the top three brightness settings? Don't get me wrong, I love the sight.......I'm just curious about the settings.
PS......my vision is just fine in case it crosses anyone's mind.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
It almost sounds like you may have an M2. Maybe mis-packaged or M2 element accidentally installed in ML2. We use the M2 in my unit and the lower non-NV settings are visible in anything other than very bright sunlight. I perfer a middle of the dial setting, but if I need a more accurate shot, I use the lowest visible setting to reduce the dazzling effect.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is the same, you can only see the first few in total darkness, but at full or close to full power the dot washes out, yours might be jacked up, call Aimpoint and see what they have to say about it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
My ML2 has always been like that as well. never did figure it out. I wish I would have gotten mine before I retired. I would have liked to check the lower settings out with a PVS14 to see if they can be used  as a NVG setting.  My guess is they can be, which validates my choice of buying the cheaper ML2 and not the NVG compatible M2 which was more expensive.

The choice was simple enough as it was as I had no NVG's nor any future plan for them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine's real dim/non-visible on the low settings too, the top 3-4 settings are the most useful for me
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Great, thanks everyone........it looks like it's not just mine. Again, I still like the sight but when I spin through the 10 settings on the cheap $40 red-dot sight I threw on my kid's little 22 rifle and see a much more useful range of dot brightnesses it makes you wonder why the Aimpoint isn't that way. Granted the $40 scope can't take a pounding like the Aimpoint but we're talking about the adjustments on dot brightness not how rugged it is.
I'm an anul retentive SOB aren't I?hinking.gif.....thanks again for everyone's input.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a CompM that i just sold a friend of mine so I could get an ACOG 4x32 , and even tho its an older model Aimpoint, the dot was insane (i mean shockingly bright) on anything from the mid setting to the high. Even the second or third click was totally adequate for daytime use. The brightest was far too bright for sunny day shooting and night-time.

- rem

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top