Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:03:34 AM EDT
I've been trying to refine the zero for my rifle with an Aimpoint Comp2 (4 MOA dot) at 50 yards.  I was becoming frustrated because I couldn't shoot really tight groups like I had expected from a new barrel.  

It occured to me that at 50 yards, my dot is covering 2".  If my dot is covering 2" is that the degree of accuracy I could expect?  My zeroing target has 1" square in the center, if my math is right my dot is bigger than the square at 50 yards.  I managed to place 2 of 3 rounds in a 1" square on my zeroing target, is this the best I can reasonably hope for with an Aimpoint and XM193?

It occurred to me to print a 2" dot target that would allow me the Aimpoint dot to cover the dot.  If all of my hits are within the 2" circle at 50 yards, is that the best one can do?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You could improve that slightly maybe depending on your eyesight. Lower the brightness setting on the dot till it's at the lowest brightness and use the center or top of the dot as your aiming point . 2" at 50 meters/yards is good considering the optic's design theory is to get a fast, accurate shot in combat or competitive shooting where a rapid accurate shot is desired. If you're doing shooting that a quick shot is not critical, then a more traditional magnifed optic may be suited for more surgical shooting.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Your expectations may be to high for your Aimpoint. Remember, this is a Optic designed for rapid tgt aquisition and is not a 1/2MOA tackdriver. Not having any Magnification also is part of the design to not limit yout field of view which is important in rapid tgt aquisition. I attached a pic of what I consider to be very acceptable accuracy for a 4MOA Aimpoint out of a 16"HBAR shooting XM193 ammo from a prone position at 50 yds.
The five rd group in the head  can be covered by a quarter.

If you looking for tighter groups, I'm sorry to say you picked the wrong tool to accomplish your intended goal.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]

That's why I ditched my Aimpoint for a TA11...I wanted more accuracy than speed and most of my shots were outside of 50 yards.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys,

Thanks for the responses.  I really like my Aimpoint and like its ability to engage fast moving targets in poor lighting conditions.  I'm willing to live with non-MOA groups in exchage for that abilitiy.  I was trying to figure out how much of my groups was the "loose nut behind the gun" and how much was the limitations inherent in the equipment.   (BTW Harv, nice group - is that "best case" or can you do that on demand?)

thanks,
John
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have less than perfect vision like me, and want a little more precision, the 3X magnifier works very well, plus it's quickly removable or "flippable" (on the Samson Mount).

Using a 2MOA dot and the 3X zeroed for 100 yards I shot the folowing groups relatively rapid fire, shots probably less than a second apart from the bipod with my 16"SS MRP.  This was two 20 round mags, the first one at the center target and the last one split between the outer ones (9 at one and 11 at the other).
While I can get much better precision out of my Nightforce on the same rifle, I don't believe I could do it near as fast or as consistent at any power.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
John
I like to thing I'm an "OK " shooter and can get a pretty group most of the time. You know we all have are "Good" days.

The group on the bottom was actually an experiement with my ARMS 22 m68 throwlever mount and my Aimpoint. I wanted to see how repeatable my Zero was after removing/Installing in between 3 rd groups. Overall, I was happy with the Zero. (But I am on a waiting list for the lateset LaRue 2 nd Gen Cantilever mount...)

I to want the Fast Tgt Aquisition and speed that comes with a red dot. That's why I picked it over all the others scopes/sights out there.  Looked thru an ACOG and shot one for distance. They are sweet. But my Carbine is a close in tool and I have no need for magnification. and I can bang a steel 16" plate out to 300Yds on my belly when I need to.

I have never shot my Aimpoint on Paper beyond 50 yds. So I may spend a day at the range this winter and do some work on paper out to
300 yds and see what is doable with a 4MOA ML2.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
John
I like to thing I'm an "OK " shooter and can get a pretty group most of the time. You know we all have are "Good" days.

The group on the bottom was actually an experiement with my ARMS 22 m68 throwlever mount and my Aimpoint. I wanted to see how repeatable my Zero was after removing/Installing in between 3 rd groups. Overall, I was happy with the Zero. (But I am on a waiting list for the lateset LaRue 2 nd Gen Cantilever mount...)

I to want the Fast Tgt Aquisition and speed that comes with a red dot. That's why I picked it over all the others scopes/sights out there.  Looked thru an ACOG and shot one for distance. They are sweet. But my Carbine is a close in tool and I have no need for magnification. and I can bang a steel 16" plate out to 300Yds on my belly when I need to.

I have never shot my Aimpoint on Paper beyond 50 yds. So I may spend a day at the range this winter and do some work on paper out to
300 yds and see what is doable with a 4MOA ML2.

I routinely shoot my 16"m4gery at 300 yards at man sized and 10" steel plates with an Aimpoint M2. Hitting the plates is a bitch but the man-sized targets are OK, Anything under 200 yards is easy money though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Pick a target that is atleast 4 inches big for 50 yards...and 8 for 100.

Center the dot in the circular target and fire.

I've shot MOA at 100 yards like this.  Easiest way to zero it...and then you know your rounds will hit the center of the dot...or at the top of the dot or the bottom of the dot out to 300 yards if you do a 50/200 zero.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]
While many many factors play into a rifles accuracy (i.e. barrel quality, shooters skill, ammo, etc.), repeatibility and consistency are the key.  As long as your sight is mounted properly and the mount is solid, you can achieve good results from your aimpoint.

Like Edwin and Marksman have already indicated, I too can hold roughly MOA accuracy with my rifles.  I would highly recommend that you use a target that is larger than the dot.  If your point of aim is not consistent, your groups won't be either.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top