Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 10:23:28 PM EDT
I am considering buying the Eotech 551.  My bushmaster is a LEO with removable carry handle.  Do i need to buy some sort of mounting kit for that or willit be able to mount directly to the flat top when i take off the carry handle?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
it will mount directly to the flat top.  Some people like to get mounts that incorporate a BUIS, my favorite set-up with an eotech is just to mount it as far forward as possible on the flat-top, and then throw one of any number of back up iron sights behind it.  

Arms 40, GG&G MAD BUIS, or LMT happen to be my favorites.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
my goal is to mount it to the flat top, after i take the carry handle off.   When the eotech gets to me will i have to buy somthing to mount it onto the flat top or does it come with the ability to be mounted straight out of the box?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
it will mount directly to the flat top.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]
straight out of the box.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
straight out of the box.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
How can you have so many posts here and never have owned an EOtech?!?!  Thats crazy.  did you come over from the dark side or something?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would recommend mounting it to the receiver but you can but a carry handle mount.

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

You have an IM
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#9]
A carry handle mount for an EOtech is a last resort for people who have an upper with a  fixed carry handle. You have a removable carry handle, so by all means mount it directly on the upper, it's what it was designed for.

Out of the box the EOtech will come with two screws you can choose from, one is a thumbscrew, one is an allen wrench screw. I personally reccomend the allen wrench screw with a drop of loctite on it.

The thumbscrew may seem attractive if you want to remove the EOtech quickly... however, without loctite, mine would tend to unscrew itself after a few magazines worth of recoil.

If you want quick-detach ability for the EOtech, I'd reccomend the LaRue mount. However, at $120 extra... you have to really need this ability.

The GG&G Accucam also provides quick-detach ability for $85... but there wasn't enough feedback on it for my tastes, so I opted for the LaRue (which I've yet to hear a negative word about).
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't loctite your Eotech.  Use the thumbscrew, and tighten it with a coin the way it is intended.

I run a 552 Eotech on my duty carbine, and would hate to use anything else.  It goes without saying that a BUIS is mandatory for duty use, and the ARMS 40L has worked very well for me in the few times I've actually had to use it (outside of training).
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on seeing the light, you will love it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Don't loctite your Eotech.  Use the thumbscrew, and tighten it with a coin the way it is intended.

I run a 552 Eotech on my duty carbine, and would hate to use anything else.  It goes without saying that a BUIS is mandatory for duty use, and the ARMS 40L has worked very well for me in the few times I've actually had to use it (outside of training).

Indeed! Use a quarter to turn it a quarter. (In other words, turn it a quarter past hand tigtened.)

Welcome to a brave new world of hitting targets again and again and...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a GG&G accucam to mount my EOTech and I am happy with it.  I like to have the ability to take it off and put if back off with the flip of a lever.  The site will mount directly to the flat top however.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#14]
UPDATED QUESTION

I have decided the 551/552 probably wouldnt really do all that much for me, as I will most likey never intergrate NV.  I have a private seller who wants to sell me his for $325.00 NIB  Is that a deal I should jump on anyway or should I go with another model since I will most likly never use NV?    If so which models and why?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]
552 becuase they run on AAs.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
UPDATED QUESTION

I have decided the 551/552 probably wouldnt really do all that much for me, as I will most likey never intergrate NV.  I have a private seller who wants to sell me his for $325.00 NIB  Is that a deal I should jump on anyway or should I go with another model since I will most likly never use NV?    If so which models and why?

Which model is $325?  If it's the 552 that's a great deal.  Worth snapping it up.  Otherwise, get the 512 which doesn't have NV capabilities but does run on AA batteries.  AA battery model have a significantly greater life (I think it's 300 hours for AA vs. 70 hours for the N cell version.)  You should be able to get  the 512 in the low $300's.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATED QUESTION

Which model is $325?  If it's the 552 that's a great deal.  Worth snapping it up.  Otherwise, get the 512 which doesn't have NV capabilities but does run on AA batteries.  AA battery model have a significantly greater life (I think it's 300 hours for AA vs. 70 hours for the N cell version.)  You should be able to get  the 512 in the low $300's.  

+ 1

I figure that if I can ever afford night vision then I can afford to buy another eotech.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATED QUESTION

+ 1

I figure that if I can ever afford night vision then I can afford to buy another eotech.

That's for damn sure, especially night vision that actually works.  I bought a cheap 1st gen monocular about 4 years ago.  It's good for when I want to bump into a tree at night in the woods.  Without it, I don't hit anything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]
whats the difference between 551 and 552?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:51:35 AM EDT
[#20]
The difference is the batteries.
552 and 512 take AA batteries.
551 and 511 use N cell batteries.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:39:45 AM EDT
[#21]
great thanks!   sounds like 552 it will be then.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#22]
If you want to be able to remvoe the Eotech, and run the carry handle, or just remove it for whatever reason, and then have it return to zero, look at the LaRue mount. It will elevate the sight slightly so that it co-witnesses "better" with your irons, has a throw lever removal system, and will return to zero when you remount it.

You don't need it, but it is a nice option to have.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have M4 handguards, and you like the EoTech mounted forward, you'll run into a problem where the battery compartment length on the 512/552 models don't allow the unit to be mounted as far forward as you may like.  You'll need a riser then to clear the handguards.  

Not sure about the following, I have a 512 which uses AA's.  If you go with the shorter 511 then you may gain one more slot on your upper.  It isn't an issue with me though because I have std carbine handguards which are smaller diameter so my battery compartment clears them fine.  It hangs out a bit over them, but the mounting surface on the base is firmly attached to the rail.  I like mine mounted forward since it provides more real estate to access the controls.  I pair my EoTech with a fixed BUIS so it's nice having that gap.  With a folding BUIS maybe having max real estate isn't as big an issue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
UPDATED QUESTION

What Rev is it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I ran into the problem that jmart describes with my 552 (unit interferes with handguards if the front edge hangs off of the flat top).  I wanted to mount it on the flat top as far forward as possible to give better access to the controls and get the front sight lower in the view field.  I ended up getting a YHM eotech riser to add a 1/4" instead.  BTW, I opted for the 552 because of the AA batteries.  In retrospect, I wonder if the shorter 551 would have allowed me to mount it further forward (to give a lower co-witness) and save the price of the riser and another $70 on the unit itself).  If so, the 551 would have been a better choice for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
...look at the LaRue mount. It will elevate the sight slightly so that it co-witnesses "better" with your irons, has a throw lever removal system,

true

and will return to zero when you remount it.

you don't need the larue for that, those rails are numbered for a reason.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATED QUESTION

What Rev is it?

Figure out what revision it is, because saving a couple buck buying old technology isn't worth it.

Especially if this is a taxwrite off for duty use.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I ran into the problem that jmart describes with my 552 (unit interferes with handguards if the front edge hangs off of the flat top).  I wanted to mount it on the flat top as far forward as possible to give better access to the controls and get the front sight lower in the view field.  I ended up getting a YHM eotech riser to add a 1/4" instead.  BTW, I opted for the 552 because of the AA batteries. In retrospect, I wonder if the shorter 551 would have allowed me to mount it further forward (to give a lower co-witness) and save the price of the riser and another $70 on the unit itself).  If so, the 551 would have been a better choice for me.

The EOTech is on the same plane no matter where you mount it on the flattop rail.

Quoted:

Quoted:
...look at the LaRue mount. It will elevate the sight slightly so that it co-witnesses "better" with your irons, has a throw lever removal system,

true

and will return to zero when you remount it.

you don't need the larue for that, those rails are numbered for a reason.

You might mount it in the same slot, but the factory EOTech mount is not meant for repeatable zero. It might be close enough for gubment work out to 100yds, but I doubt it will reliably shoot to the same POA if you take it off more than once or twice.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I've taken mine off at least 3 or 4 times to thoroughly clean after being in heavy rain.  Every time it has returned to within .5-1MOA, just like they say it will.  Just make sure you mount it on the same slot of the rail, the same way.  I keep mine pushed against the front of the slot and I keep my mounting screw marked.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#30]
OK well i went with the 512 newest rev.   I love it from the moment i pulled the box off and inserted batteries!  Wish i could post a pic online for ya'll but i cant.  no digital camera.    Now i need to get some rear flipsights.  maybe for christmas
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
OK well i went with the 512 newest rev.   I love it from the moment i pulled the box off and inserted batteries!  Wish i could post a pic online for ya'll but i cant.  no digital camera.    Now i need to get some rear flipsights.  maybe for christmas

If you'll be popping it on and off, check out the GG&G Accucam mount. Nice kit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Congrat man!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you haven't already, you'll wanna check here....The Big Bad BUIS thread

My fav is the MATECH

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top