Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:45:13 PM EDT
I've been looking into sights and scopes and trying to make a decision. I have a Weaver K3 scope off an old hunting rifle which is in great shape, and which I think would suffice for 100-yard shooting which is probably what I'll be doing most, other than when I'm out in enough space to shoot further.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. If I keep the Weaver I'll be looking for rings, and am not sure what to look for. I'd also like to pick out a good set of iron sights which don't break the bank.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly are you asking? I am a little confused sorry.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm....a tad more info would be very helpful:
1)you didn't specify what type of rifle...but I guess we'll assume it's an AR
2)if it is indeed an AR, is it A2 or A3?
3)what kind of shooting do you need the scope for? maximum range? keep on all the time or swap with something else for short range?
4)what's your budget?
5)what' a weaver K3, since they no longer list that model on their site?  Is that the 1x3x20 or something like it?  

there are so many options it's hard to narrow it down with what you originally posted.  I guess the most important questions is whether or not it's a flat top...that will cut down your scope options a little.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
This is (or will be, shortly) a 20" AR flattop.  The K3 is a 3.5 power, and the reticle is smaller than what I see typically talked about here.  I am guessing it's a 20.  I didn't have a whole lot of hope for it but figured I'd ask.

The scope would be a permanent mount.  Most of my shooting will be limited to a 100-yd local range, unfortunately, with the exception of maybe 4-5 camping trips a year.

So far from what I've read and a few fellow shooters' advice, it seems like a variable scope would work out for 100 yards and also give me room to grow in terms of doing some longer shooting.  I also just joined here so I'm guessing I'll find some more good info in the archived FAQs when my membership goes through.

Budget-wise I can appreciate the fact that you get what you pay for, but as a rookie AR guy I'm not going to double the cost of the rifle or anything.  So I'm probably on the low-end of what some of you experts would spend.  I guess as I learn a little more my wallet might loosen up.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I think a 3x9 would work for ya...Midway has the Classic V series 3x9x38 for $135.   I just got the 2x7 in the same line and I think it's a great scope.  Very clear glass, sharp image, and fairly bright.  

Also at Midway, take a look at the Sightron S1 3x9x40 mildot for $120.  I've got one of those as well, and for the price, they're very nice.  

Both of these scopes are made in Japan, so quality wise, they're head and shoulders past the Chinese scopes.  

If you can pony up $200, there was a Weaver Grand Slam 3x10x40 in the EE a while back...the thread got locked, but you can email the seller and see if he still has it.  The GS is a great scope...I have the 6x20x40 on my .22-250, and I really like it.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice.  I'll take all I can get!  I guess I am going to give this some thought and run throught the archives to see what's already been discussed.  I did IM on that Grand Slam, so we'll see what happens.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top