Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 5:09:55 PM EDT
Hi to all of you!
                        I'm a new member of ar15.com.  I'm from Quebec, Canada and I recently got my restricted firearms permit.  I didn't waste time and bought brand new LEM AR-15M4. (really tough to get in Canada).  I want to use it for target shooting (outside firering range).  I'm in the process of searching for a good price/quality magnifying scope, but I don't know much about them since I never shot a rifle before...  Trijicon ACOG, leupold mark IV are brands I'm looking into but find a litte expensive.

I would like exprerienced shooters to give me advice on what would be the best scope to start with and how much should I be willing to spend on it.

Thanks!
Pat
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to ARFCOM!

I have had great success with Leupold VariX III line of scopes. You can get them with Mil. Dots and Target knobs that are the same as the MARK IV, but a "little" less Robust. That being said, I have use this scope many times in foeld excercizes, and it will take a beating. Just not as much as the M4 would.

My favorite is the Leupold Tactical VariX III 4.5 X 14 50mm objective. It has the same Mil Dot reticle as the M4, and I had the target knob option installed by the factory. Also get a pair of Butler Creek scope covers to protect the lenses.

TACK
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice Tack!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Leupold LRT Mark IV  3.5-10x40mm Mil-dot M3 version.  Don't need 50mm or greater than ten power for the range of .223.  It also comes with the Butler Creek Caps.

I own two of these:

LINKY

If you get lucky, you can find them used for less than $700.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool ! Thanks Linky!

Just wondwering, the scopes that you and Tack suggested are full length.  Most pictures of AR-15 I saw where with compact scopes.  Is there a practical reason to go compact (I mean other than being more rugged in combat situations)?  Does a full length scope would look odd on an AR-15?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Compact scopes you see here are mostly ACOGs and Aimpoints.
Aimpoints (generally) offer no magnification and are for quick acquisition of a target by a red illuminated dot powered by batteries.  Built tough and generally used by law enforcement.

ACOGs are usually 3.5x or 4x and are built like tanks.  They are self illuminated by tritium (no batteries), and generally used by the military.

Hope that helps.  It really depends on what you want to pay.

Here is a pic of my ACOG
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
the ACOG looks awesome!  Is it worth the investment, or is it too much for civilian use?

thanks Jackal!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I am only a civilian so I guess it depends how much you are willing to spend.

Here is a link for what different scopes look like:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=158932

Don't forget, cheap optics are just that.... cheap.
If you planning on doing target shooting or varmet hunting, you might be better off getting a variable range scope.  
Also, don't forget to get a really solid mount.

By the way, I have the ACOG TA31.  The red donut of death
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
At first I wasn't willing to spend too much on optics (500$ canadian), but from the advice you guys sent me, I think I'll ask the congress to unlock funds...thanks again Jackal, I think I got my eyes on the ACOG...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Look to spend anywhere from $800-$1000 US for a NIB ACOG depending on what model you want.  Ebay and Gunbroker are good places to start looking at prices.

You can also check this thread I posted.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=248799
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
do you think it would be worth to save a couple of bucks by looking at used ACOGS or it's a no brainer to go brand new?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]
It depends how old it is.  Tritium has a half life of about 12 years.  Now the self illuminated donut or whatever only illuminates when it is dark out.  If you don't plan on shooting at night, then don't worry about it.  The fiber optic gathers sunlight to make it brighter in the day time.  Also get one that has BAC.  You can keep both eyes open with BAC and you don't have to squint.

If you find a really good deal and it is really old, you can send it back to Trijicon to have them recharge it and even change the internal sight.  That will cost $200 or so from what other have posted.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
BAC doesn't work for everyone. I got a TA31F and though I love it, I find that I have trouble using the BAC feature.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I browsed around on the internet And I found a NIB ACOG TA31 for 800$.  Is it a good deal or by being a littlre more patient I could get one for less?  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Like I said, I paid $795 out the door for mine, and I thought that was really good for NIB.  I would grab it, but your call.

Something that I really didn't know about the TA31 when I got it was since it is a donut design, the center of the donut is around 50 yards.  The top outer edge of the donut is for 100 yards.  If you don't like that concept than maybe you should look at the TA31F.  That would have been my other choice.  But that is just personal prefrence.  That one has the cheveron or "arrow".

Maybe 12 or 15 years down the road if I have to send mine back to get recharged I might get it changed out with a different option.  By then they may have more internal designs.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
so what you're saying is that the chevron concept is "better" than the donut...  Since I never used an ACOG before, you would suggest the chevron?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Donut is slightly faster  for snap shooting but chevron has the triangle tip for more precision when you can take your time. You can also use the top of the donut if you want more precise shooting with that reticle. I have the chevron but I'd probably go with donut instead now that I've had a chance to play with the chevron. Not to say I'm unhappy but if I had to choose...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Before anyone laughs and sticks their nose in the air, read the following reviews:

Tasco Super Sniper scopes
  10x42, 16x42, 20x42, 30mm tubes w/etched mildot reticle $300

Super Sniper review
Super Sniper review, another
Sales review and prices
More info, prices and links

I've always been a VX III Leupold man, but I am getting one of these to put on my Varminter one of these days!

Granted, the name is pretentious, but it's also 1/3 the price of most others in the same category

note the quote from link #2:
"The optics where not as clear as US Optics, Nightforce, Nikon Tactical or Leupold MK4's but not bad. Remember these are 300-400.00 scopes not 1250.00 plus! The optics where better than anything similar I have used under 600.00. I would have no problem taking this out for "F Class" shooting at 1000 yards."

see what your fellow ARFCOMMERS say:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=78&t=79468
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=187858
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=248641
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=186702

It may be too large for an M4, but I gotta point out a bargain!

and these are my favorite rings: A.R.M.S. #22M
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to all of you that joined in!  You gave me usefull advices.  I finally made my choice, and I went for the TRIJICON ACOG TA31F.  I'm really anxious to try it...  I hope to exchange with you all on other topics!

Thanks again, merci à tous!

Pat  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top