Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2005 12:13:02 PM EDT
From say....30 feet to 30 yards.

For a friend:

Have several Eotech 552s, mounted on my AR15s, but want to mount one on a tippmann A-5, rather than wasting money on a cheap optic. Anybody have any experience of this type? Or know of any instances where EoTechs have been damaged by this type of impact?

Thanks in Advance.

ETA if you can't make a constructive reply then please don't post at all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]

ETA:  A $300+ optic for paintball
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Who gives  a shit?

Buy one, install it, do your little experiment and tell someone else who shoots paintball.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure.

And if it doesn't call customer service.

Only thing I can think of.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
n/m
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, yeah I know. Paintball is below most of you.

I don't do it myself but some of my ex-Army buddies do. The friend who is asking has seen more combat in the sandbox than me, earned his Bronze Star and Purple heart there, so I certainly won't be deriding him for playing paintball. I may even try it someday if ever get the time.

I don't have any Eothingy's either, or I would have tried it already. I wouldn't be worried about my Aimpoints, but I don't know the Eotechs. They seem to be more fragile.

Obviously some of you 'hardened war vets' will make fun, that's fine, maybe this is in the wrong forum.
But I did not put it in the gaming forum because it was a question about what a real CCO (Eotech 552) will withstand, not a toy optic.

But if I'm just going to get a bunch of sneering I'll just have to ask to have this locked as there is no point in that.
I would really appreciate a mature opinion guys, if you can't say anything constructive then please don't post at all. I'm just trying to help a friend out.

Thanks
_DR
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't do it myself but some of my ex-Army buddies do. The guys who is asking has seen more combat in the sandbox than me, earned his Bronze Star and Purple heart there, so I certainly won't be deriding him for playing paintball. I may even try it someday if ever get the time.

I don't do Eothingy's either, or I would have tried it already. I wouldn't be worried about my Aimpoints, but I don't know the Eotechs. They seem to be more fragile.

Obviously some of you hardened war vets will make fun, that's fine, maybe this is in the wrong forum.
I did not put it in the gaming forum because it was a question about what a real CCO (Eotech 552) will withstand, not a toy optic.

But if I'm just going to get a bunch of sneering I'll just have to ask to have this locked.
I would really appreciate a mature opinion guys, if you can't say anything constructive then please don't post at all. I'm just trying to help a friend out.

Thanks
_DR

Hey, for what it's worth, I used to play tournament-level when I was younger and having real guns wasn't an option.
But I was playing a game not being a tactical-ninja with real life HSLD SEALz gear.

It's just funny when grown men do it.

ETA: But, no, I don't know if my EOTech (on my actual AR) can stand up to a paintball impact.  Tell him just to run with it...having a broken EO-thingy is nothing compared to getting wasted for real.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't do it myself but some of my ex-Army buddies do. The guys who is asking has seen more combat in the sandbox than me, earned his Bronze Star and Purple heart there, so I certainly won't be deriding him for playing paintball. I may even try it someday if ever get the time.

I don't do Eothingy's either, or I would have tried it already. I wouldn't be worried about my Aimpoints, but I don't know the Eotechs. They seem to be more fragile.

Obviously some of you hardened war vets will make fun, that's fine, maybe this is in the wrong forum.
I did not put it in the gaming forum because it was a question about what a real CCO (Eotech 552) will withstand, not a toy optic.

But if I'm just going to get a bunch of sneering I'll just have to ask to have this locked.

Thanks
_DR

Hey, for what it's worth, I used to play tournament-level when I was younger and having real guns wasn't an option.
But I was playing a game not being a tactical-ninja with real life HSLD SEALz gear.

ETA: But, no, I don't know if my EOTech (on my actual AR) can stand up to a paintball impact.  Tell him just to run with it...having a broken EO-thingy is nothing compared to getting wasted for real.

Thanks for letting us know how grown up you are. Now please refrain from posting anymore.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have seen the hakko 4 reticle sights take a direct hit and not break same with the cheap bsa reddots. the pane on both of those is thinner so the eo tech should have no issues at all.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
_DR

Thanks for letting us know how grown up you are. Now please refrain from posting anymore.

OK, boss...since you think you're running the show.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't do it myself but some of my ex-Army buddies do. The friend who is asking has seen more combat in the sandbox than me, earned his Bronze Star and Purple heart there, so I certainly won't be deriding him for playing paintball. I may even try it someday if ever get the time.

Obviously some of you 'hardened war vets' will make fun, that's fine, maybe this is in the wrong forum.
But I did not put it in the gaming forum because it was a question about what a real CCO (Eotech 552) will withstand, not a toy optic.

But if I'm just going to get a bunch of sneering I'll just have to ask to have this locked as there is no point in that.

Thanks
_DR

I am with ya brother! I play PB (when I find time). We play woods ball and everyone is either active duty Military or ex-Military. Most are either Marines or Army. These guys know how to shoot and move. I feel it is very good experience for many basic AR shooting drills IMHO.

C4

Yeah woodsball or MilSim is what Bill wants to do. He was SF in Germany and saw quite of bit in his tour in GW1 and has really been out of any kind of action for the last 15 years, but still trains and can still shoot like a pro. He  wants to use gear he uses to train with, where possible (that's why the Eotech). He wanted me to go play woodsball with with him and his ex-greenie beanie buddies, but I was just peacetime straight-leg Army - They'd probably nail the crap out of me. Maybe I will try it when I get my current AR projects finished and have more $$ to spare.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I do so wish I could dictate the terms of the threads I make.

Incidentally, have you considered contacting EOTech?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally, me and Grant see eye to eye on something!!! Paintball is great fun, and a great experience. It's a great training tool as well, as you see what real world people do when they are shooting back at you, much like you would in a SHTF scenario where very few have actual training imho. You'll learn real fast that the techniques you thought would work well, really don't, and imho alot more realistic than shooting at paper. In fact, for urban combat, i think paintball is the BEST training possiible. Teaches you too move, flank, and use cover, and work as a team. I don't think paintball is the end all do all, but when combined with techniques learned in viable carbine classes, is a great way to try them out in a real world scenario and learn more along the way. I have a tippman A5 with a car stock and flatline barrel and run the remote line settup, as to get the ergos as much like my ar15 as possible for realism, rather than opt for a tourny quality rig. Aot of times we will freeze the balls to give each other a little more reason not to get hit.

I GUARANTEE that alot of the "pros" on here would get their asses handed to them in a real life scenario, and would be amazed at how much they would actually learn if they would give it a try. I would also guarantee, that alot of PB teams out there would wax real world operators in an urban combat scenario, all things being equal, with markers or weapons. Flame away.

As for the eotech, i'm sure it would hold up, and if it didn't, i'm sure eotech would fix it anyways.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Paintball can be good training any force on force training beats just shooting on a square range. You learn more when people shoot back at you than when you punch paper. However I would not spend the money on an eotech for a paintball gun but thats me. I prefer Sim guns for training but their far more expensive and its not for fun at that point.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to play a lot while stationed in Guantanamo Bay.  There werent all that many options for killing time there, but MWR had a pretty nice range set up.

I would imagine an Eotech could take a hit from a paintball.  I wouldn't bother with using one, but I don't think it would break regardless.

Why is everyone freaking out about people enjoying paintball?  Would you rather him collect stamps?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It will do just fine I use one on a paint ball gun and it worked just fine.  The gun I have is not accurate enough to warrant an EoTech.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

That was what I actually had posted but then edited out.. paintball is a point and shoot game IMHO sights are useless in it
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It will do just fine I use one on a paint ball gun and it worked just fine.  The gun I have is not accurate enough to warrant an EoTech.

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

That was what I actually had posted but then edited out.. paintball is a point and shoot game IMHO sights are useless in it

Apparently the markers are getting accurate enough that optics are useable now. Of course, those paintball markers now cost as much as actual AR15s. That's what has kept me away so far.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

$1,000+ BASE paintball guns aren't uncommon at all... it isn't hard at all to end up with a $3,000+ paintball gun set-up.

With any of those a $300+ optic would be one of the cheapest adds.

I ran with a Bushnell HOLOsight (N battery version) for a while on my AutoMag (before that I had a few cheapos... even those did great taking hits)... the HOLOsight's window took more then just a few rounds & shrugged them all off. (FYI, red-dot optics are GREAT for painting goggles when that's all there is sticking out from behind cover.)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]
EOTECH show how their optic works in snow, mud, and damage. The ad has been arround and is in many printed advertisments such as some of the larger optics catalogues. It depicts a smashed looking screen with the reticle still visable from one intact corner. Sounds like they think it will hold up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I GUARANTEE that alot of the "pros" on here would get their asses handed to them in a real life scenario, and would be amazed at how much they would actually learn if they would give it a try. I would also guarantee, that alot of PB teams out there would wax real world operators in an urban combat scenario, all things being equal, with markers or weapons. Flame away.

HAHHAHAHA!!! Thanx for the laugh. I tried PB with a few guys who were PB seasoned pros and handed their asses to them. While PB can be educational, its NOT the REAL thing.

_DR, to answer your question: I would imagine, but have no direct personal knowledge, that the EOtech should hold up to a PB ball. Im sure EOtech will be able to answer your question better than us.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That has to be the biggest load of horse shit I've ever heard.

I'm sure that there are  paintballers out there who are extremely skilled. However, if it was real lead flying I know who I'd put my money on.

Having a paintball splatter three inches from your skull might startle you, but real rounds cratering holes in your cover will make your bowels release.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Apples and Oranges really.

If I were to place a bet on a PB game with a professional PB team vs. high-speed military unit X, who had not played PB all that much, I would bet on the PB team hands down.

But I would in no way send a professional PB team in to extract a POW, or clear a hostile building.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Apples and Oranges really.

If I were to place a bet on a PB game with a professional PB team vs. high-speed military unit X, who had not played PB all that much, I would bet on the PB team hands down.

But I would in no way send a professional PB team in to extract a POW, or clear a hostile building.

Exactly, people with real guns don't volley fire over barricades, they shoot through them.  

The difference between cover and concealment is marginal in paintball/ simmunition, but very real with real weapons.    That being said, training is training, and there is a time and place for just about everything.

Back to the actual topic, we train sims with Eotechs, and I can't remember any having broken.  I agree that Sims and PB aren't exactly the same, but I think it gives a rough idea of the durability.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The difference between cover and concealment is marginal in paintball/ simmunition, but very real with real weapons.    

Yep, one of the biggest drawbacks, even more pronouced with the MILES laser system we used in the military. And what a huge difference there is.

We tried the Eotech on his Tippman A4 yesterday, works great. He's going to go with it.

Everyone, thanks for your input!

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#29]
_DR

I couldn't imagine it damaging the optic.

The paintballs by design are made to burst on impact.

I've been hit all over and I didn't break

GM
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I know several people that could trade their paintball guns EVEN for a Barret AR.  In it's current state, paintball doesnt resemble anything like most people think it does.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#31]
depends how close you are but paintball will not harm a Eotech....of course I dont know if you shot it at point blank....However close hit with a simunitions round is a different story....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I play paintball all the time. What is with these freekin losers makin fun of what people like to do with their time? Bunch of fat armchair warriors spending thousands to trick out their  AR's so when the zombies or commies come they will be ready. Give me a break!

Yes an EoTech will take a hit from a paintball....Just went and tried it. It's fine. Messy, but fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#33]
hmmmm, maybe we should set up a little challenge? I have  a hilly, wooded, 30 acres attached to a section of wayne national forest here in ohio. We could have a little get together....     Most of us have extra markers that the rest of you can use    

Losers buy the beer
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
hmmmm, maybe we should set up a little challenge? I have  a hilly, wooded, 30 acres attached to a section of wayne national forest here in ohio. We could have a little get together....     Most of us have extra markers that the rest of you can use    

Losers buy the beer

I'm In!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#35]
DR, I wouldn't foresee any issues.  After all, goggles are able to withstand the impact, so the EO reticle should have no problem, aside from being all gooped up
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#36]
The EoTech's are pretty tough.  As long as you weren't shooting wtih frozen paintballs, I doubt the EoTech would break.  My EoTech survived a 3-4 foot freefall on to concrete, held its zero just fine.

Now, as said earlier, I think it would be pretty pointless to put one on a paintball marker.  It is definately more of a point and shoot and WATCH your point of impact.  I don't care how accurate you say paintball markers are getting these days, they're limited by how fast you can shoot them.  That directly affects trajectory.  If you sight the EoTech at 15 yards, it'll be off at 50 yards.  Perhaps as long as your target is within the bigger circle, you may be allright.  Give it a shot and tell us how it works.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The EoTech's are pretty tough.  As long as you weren't shooting wtih frozen paintballs, I doubt the EoTech would break.  My EoTech survived a 3-4 foot freefall on to concrete, held its zero just fine.

Now, as said earlier, I think it would be pretty pointless to put one on a paintball marker.  It is definately more of a point and shoot and WATCH your point of impact.  I don't care how accurate you say paintball markers are getting these days, they're limited by how fast you can shoot them.  That directly affects trajectory.  If you sight the EoTech at 15 yards, it'll be off at 50 yards.  Perhaps as long as your target is within the bigger circle, you may be allright.  Give it a shot and tell us how it works.

Yeah, we tried  tried the Eotech yesterday, on his marker. With the 65 MOA ring it works perfectly. No way it is doing 1 MOA, although at 30 feet, the splats are within a 3 to 6 inch circle. All in all the Eotech seems to work perfectly, because of the ring. I think it will work much better than a cheap optic, he bought one of those $24 tasco 30mm red dots, but we didn't even try it because the Eotech worked so well.

Thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Painball is a riot.

...really surprised there aren't many more folks here that play (but, of course, you need to be in shape ).

An Eotech is more than rugged enough. The paint may stain certain areas (label, any plastics)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top