Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 11:23:35 AM EDT
(newbie)

I'm trying to find a general purpose scope. I like Eotech (better) and Aimpoint (lesser due to narrower field of view). However, both are 1x optics. Great for CQB but not much if you're out in the woods for varmints, or small game.

Are there any magnifiers for these optics (yes I've seen Aimpoint 3X magnifier, but that costs more than the optics itself). Has anybody used a monocular as a magnifier (which brand, cost)?

Or is there a zoom scope (I've seen the Leupold CQT, but that seems to have an awfully small lens (pupil lens?), not really great for CQB, more for mid-long range usage.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#1]
FOV is a non issue for EOTech or Aimpoint as you use with both eyes open and both make the entire optic ghost out and result in 100% FOV with either.  

FOV with monocular for either is the same if using the same monocular so thats also a non issue.

If you want a $700 range variable look at the Horus Talon or Meopta Meostar which are both superior to the CQT.  I cant really understand peoples purhcase of the CQT when there are optics that are better in most every category for the same money.  I guess its the name.

1X varibles are excellent for CQB distances as they also ghost the optic out nearly 100%.  I have no idea why you would consider a 1-3X or 1-4X optic a long/medium range optic as that is simply not the case.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up getting the Leupold CQT. I compared them side by side at the store: Aimpoint, CQT, and EoTech.

I didn't like the Aimpoint unit, and would have the same problem with the Aimpoint magnifier.

The EoTech's glass surface area is roughly the same as the Leuopold, so in terms of usage / eye relief it would be the same for me.

The tie breaker is that I really like the 1-4 zoom of the Leupold.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I ended up getting the Leupold CQT. I compared them side by side at the store: Aimpoint, CQT, and EoTech.

I didn't like the Aimpoint unit, and would have the same problem with the Aimpoint magnifier.

The EoTech's glass surface area is roughly the same as the Leuopold, so in terms of usage / eye relief it would be the same for me.

The tie breaker is that I really like the 1-4 1-3 zoom of the Leupold.

Thanks!

I love my CQ/T as well. If you haven't already, might think about getting a QD mount from ARMS or LT. Now go shoot the crap out of it!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top