Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 9:39:46 PM EDT
This year my main project (goal rather, since I'm not actually building anything this time) is going to be a Colt 6520.  I was planning to leave it totally bare, but since I don't have any ARs with a carry handle right now, I thought this might be the perfect platform to mount and try a Compact ACOG.  

The model I think I'd like to get eventually is the TA47R-2 (M16 mount, Red Triangle reticle, 2x).  I think I'd prefer the triangle to the dot since I don't particularly care for the Aimpoint (EOThingy is my bag), and I haven't ever really heard anything good about the crosshair models.  Do you guys/gals like this particular optic, pros/cons?  Also, does this optic gel particularly well with this weapon, or at least similar weapons?  

I wouldn't be expecting to be able to engage targets at 600m...just a general use carbean for mostly close work, with a little bit of mag for out to 150-200m (I've got good eyes, so I don't view this as a lofty expectation-have used EOThingy out to 500m+ with acceptable success).  Not expecting precision either.

From what I've read, this niche seems to fit this set up extremly well, especially the optic.  Just wanted to hear some relevant opinions on the topic to help me decide if this is exactly what I want to start saving that stipend for.

Airborne
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a well thought out plan and realistic expectations. The only thing I have to add is that if you find the scope you are looking for you need to buy it because the 2X red triangle is rare.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#2]
i have bad eyes, so magnification if a big plus for me.

i recently bought a ta47r-2 to mount onto my 6450 9mm carbine since dont plan on going out too far with it and like the triangle tip for precision required shots and the mass of the triangle for quick shots.

2x seems a bit weak for me but plenty for what im doing with it and enough to get by. all of my other acogs are 4x so going from that to the 2x took a little adjusting to along with the high cheek rest that is required since it is carry handle mounted.

the dot imo would be fast but no reference point for more accurate shots, crosshairs are too slow and imo pointless on a 2x since there is close to no mag and the lines would be kinda thick anyways.

the triangle imo was the perfect reticle, 2x was just enough along with the fov, eye relief and what not. and i didnt want too much of magnification to hinder the speed of the optic.

so imo the ta47r-2 is the better of them all

just my 0.02 worth on the subject.

some threads that came up in a search relating to compact acogs

acog question

best color choice for the aiming point of the acog scopes

acog

mini acog pics

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a lot guys.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top