Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:08:51 PM EDT
I have a scope on my AR-10 right now but i was thinking about getting something different. Should i get B.U.I.S. or something like EOtech?  Since BUIS are so expensive anyway, wouldnt it be wiser to go with an EOtech?  Just looking for some opinions on what you guys are using. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you guys like B.U.I.S. or EOtech???
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You realize that BUIS stands for Back Up Iron Sight and an Eotech is a red dot type of sight right?  If you run any type of optic you should have a BUIS.  An Eotech is not a replacement for BUIS.  Also your cost is off.  Most BUIS are 1/3 the cost if not a 1/4 the cost of an Eothing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I know what BUIS stands for. But I thought it would be ok if i just bought an Eotech and not the BUIS. Ok but i get what your saying. I guess ill just buy the BUIS.   Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Are you thinking that you would use the Eotech as a back up sight if your primary fails?  That would be fine if you have plenty of time and no stress to install it.  In this case the Eotech would be more like a secondary optic than a back up.  

If the time comes that your primary fails and you really need to go to your back up, you may not have time to get the Eotech out of your gear and install it.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
You should have both.  I'm serious.  The BUIS should be there in case your dot does dead.

Period.

You should get the BUIS first if you can't do both at the same time.

HTH.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I think if this is a hunting weapon, intended for the destruction of wild pigs(I use a FAL) EOtech alone would be fine, for SHTF you'll need both, any AR15 will do on a AR10.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you thinking that you would use the Eotech as a back up sight if your primary fails?  That would be fine if you have plenty of time and no stress to install it.  In this case the Eotech would be more like a secondary optic than a back up.  

If the time comes that your primary fails and you really need to go to your back up, you may not have time to get the Eotech out of your gear and install it.  YMMV

How would the iron sights fail? IMO it would be pretty dumb to have an eotech mounted and not use it as your primary sight, obviously depending on what you are using it for.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How would the iron sights fail? ....

1) too dark to use them

2) covered in mud

3) Front sight broken or bent.

4) Front sight base bent.

But I agree the optic should be the primary sight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#11]

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Are you thinking that you would use the Eotech as a back up sight if your primary fails? That would be fine if you have plenty of time and no stress to install it. In this case the Eotech would be more like a secondary optic than a back up.

If the time comes that your primary fails and you really need to go to your back up, you may not have time to get the Eotech out of your gear and install it. YMMV

How would the iron sights fail? IMO it would be pretty dumb to have an eotech mounted and not use it as your primary sight, obviously depending on what you are using it for.

Based on the original post, I am making the assumption that SVT already has a primary optic.  He says he has a scope already on his AR10.  It sounded to me like he was looking to get a secondary sighting system...be it an Eotech or BUIS.  I was trying to make the point that an Eotech makes a poor Back up sighting system and that he would be better served by a BUIS of some kind.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
SVT-Sinister,

Get a TROY rear flip and a GG&G front flip.

For a somethingy in the middle:  Get what you like.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How would the iron sights fail? ....

1) too dark to use them

2) covered in mud

3) Front sight broken or bent.

4) Front sight base bent.

But I agree the optic should be the primary sight.

Good points.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
SVT-Sinister,

Get a TROY rear flip and a GG&G front flip.

For a somethingy in the middle:  Get what you like.

This is exactly what I did and it enables me to use my scope or my EOtech.  Plus they are both very good units.

Seydou
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top