Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 6:27:16 PM EDT
Of course, I know the answwer - it's a matter of personal preference... but humor me, I'd like some feedback from you guys before I drop the bucks.

I already have both an Aimpoint and an Eotech on my carbines, so let's leave those options out.

I'm now looking for the right optic for my service rifle, which has a flat-top upper.  I think, since this rifle will be used at longer ranges, say 100yds and up, an ACOG is the way to go, and further, since this isn't to be specifically optimized for QCB, I'm leaning towards the TA01 because I think I'd prefer the crosshairs for distance work, and the reticle is illuminated.  I think the USMC choice of the TA01 for their M4 carbines lends support to this as a viable choice.  I also think that at longer ranges the dot, triangle, chevron, whatever, might tend to obscure the target where a crosshair wouldn't.  Opinions?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They are the same from 300m out. The NON BAC ones have the advantage for precision shooting up close, and BAC ones for fast shooting up close.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Exaclty, the BDC is the same from 300 out and USMC has selected TA31 not TA01 for the M4 and M16.  Having used both I see no use for the TA01 compared to TA31F.  You gain zero abilty to hit at any range and give up quite a bit in close.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned both.

I currently have a TA31, but I'm wishing that I'd held on to the TA01NSN a bit longer. Options are a good thing.

What's your mission requirement?

Do you want to pop an eyeball? Get the TA01NSN. The crosshair reticles are much friendlier when it comes to precision shots.

Do you just want to hit the head? Spend the extra $$$ and get the TA31.

The TA31 is a little bit faster than the TA01...a little. I have zero problem firing either optic with both eyes open at any given range.

All said? I wish Trijicon made the TA01 series with the fiber optic cable...or offered a crosshair reticle similiar to Leupold's new SPR reticle in the TA31 lineup. Speed and precision.

Since you stated that you're going to be using this particular rifle for "distance work" I'm going to assume that precision comes with the territory and recommend that you buy the TA01(NSN).

...then email Trijicon and tell them to get their asses moving on an "SPR-like" reticle so we can have our cake and eat it too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I battled with this same thing for WEEKS and chose the TA31F and don't regret it at all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I have got my alphanumerology messed up - the TA31 variant is USMC, but the TA01 (NSN) variant is of the SOPMOD persuasion... the point is, both variants are spoken for by professionals.

As I said, I have not one, but two Colt carbines to cover the CQB type stuff, one is a fairly plain-vanilla M4 with an Aimpoint, the other is the very cute tactical rig with the VLTOR and the EOTECH and the flashlight and the compass-decoder-ring-cell-phone-wet bar.

The current project is for longer range work, from the 100-plus range out to five or so yards.  That's why I was thinking the crosshairs would allow better visualization out at the longer ranges, because there wouldn't be a big red dot-thing over the (very small at that range) target.  

Again, I have TWO other weapons for the closer-range thing, and like any good golf pro would select the better club for the task at hand...

I'd get the NSN but I don't need the bolted-on iron sights when I'll have the trusty A2 carry handle clipped to my belt - I won't be operating in Iraq and won't have the split-second need.  That, and I'll have the old Cold .45 for any up-close chores.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Okay, I have got my alphanumerology messed up - the TA31 variant is USMC, but the TA01 (NSN) variant is of the SOPMOD persuasion... the point is, both variants are spoken for by professionals.

As I said, I have not one, but two Colt carbines to cover the CQB type stuff, one is a fairly plain-vanilla M4 with an Aimpoint, the other is the very cute tactical rig with the VLTOR and the EOTECH and the flashlight and the compass-decoder-ring-cell-phone-wet bar.

The current project is for longer range work, from the 100-plus range out to five or so yards.  That's why I was thinking the crosshairs would allow better visualization out at the longer ranges, because there wouldn't be a big red dot-thing over the (very small at that range) target.  

Again, I have TWO other weapons for the closer-range thing, and like any good golf pro would select the better club for the task at hand...

I'd get the NSN but I don't need the bolted-on iron sights when I'll have the trusty A2 carry handle clipped to my belt - I won't be operating in Iraq and won't have the split-second need.  That, and I'll have the old Cold .45 for any up-close chores.

Not to screw with your decision even more, but keep in mind that after 300 yards you're going to be using crosshairs on the TA31 anyways.

Tip of the donut at 100, center of donut at 200 and bottom of donut at 300. After that, you're into the crosshair section of the BDC.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
i would put a 6x leupold on it ...that will do everything the trijicon can do ....maybe even better!! then w/ the 300 or 400 dollars you have left over you can buy 1000 rounds to practice with($180), a good bottle of single malt scotch(glenlivit...you'll never want anthing else $45), and a nice box cigars ($100) ...boy this some great advise!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I gotta admit, I can shoot quick and close with an 01NSN. Even better at night with the crosshairs lit up. I havn't seen or tried a 31, but I dont think I've read a bad review yet.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top