Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2005 2:18:21 PM EDT
First off (and it's a shame I even have to say this) don't turn this thread into an ARMS sucks/LaRue is great flame fest. Let's keep this discussion civil & unlocked folks!

I just have to ask...  do YOUR LaRue mounts leave wear marks on your receiver??? I T&E'ed a LaRue Aimpoint mount about a year ago, and it started to leave pronounced wear marks on my receiver's rail (Bushmaster) after about 7 or 8 dismounts and reinstalls. A few others on this board have also reported similar wear problems, so I'm not alone or imagining things.

The vast majority of LaRue customers however, report no wear at all, so I'm left wondering... what gives???

I really want to like (and use) LaRue mounts, but I just can't be sure that I won't have a repeat experience.

Why did I experience wear (yes... the throw lever was adjusted correctly) when others have not???

Thanks.        
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
do YOUR LaRue mounts leave wear marks on your receiver???

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
No

At least not enough for me to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the levers are a harder metal than the upper IIRC.  This will result in wear.

It is less wear than the Badger rings I've used.

I have only used an Aimpoint ARMS mount so I don't have a good baseline, but the ARMS Aimpoint mount does leave heavier MARKS, not necessarily wear, than the Larue ACOG mounts I use.

HTH...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Both my Larue and ARMS mounts scratch the park off when mounted.

I can't say they *wear* the rail, but they leave a mark.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine didn't. But I wouldnt mind wear marks. My rifles arent safe queens
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine actually dented the aluminum slightly.  It's my fault because I tightened it up too much and forced the lever shut, though.

ETA:  And I don't care about the dent, either.  It still functions properly.  I'm talking about a very slight dent, and the mount re-zeroes perfectly every time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, but not excessively so, and not enough to interfere with function.  

I've removed and replaced my Larue Eotech mount at least 20 times, and it goes back on as tight as it came off, and the marks are not any worse than after the first time or two.  

Don't worry about it.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Hate to say it "Yes"
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes my EOTech mount has left some marks on the finish.  But hopefully with repeated removal no actually wear will accure.  We'll see.  Love the mount though!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, every receiver I have seen that used Larue mounts had wear marks from the throw levers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]

No, I didn't tighten it too much.  That's what it took to stop the mount from sliding back and forth.  Receiver is RRA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
yup./  kinda comforting though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Who worries about this stuff?  Not me.  How is it going to clamp tightly and not leave a mark?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there a mount that won't leave ANY marks/wear available?  I don't think there is.  At least with the LaRue you can adjust to the wear accordingly.

My LaRue BUIS left a slight smudge looking mark.  I have only had my ACOG mount for about 2 weeks and there isn't any marks yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Does the same on my AR receiver too.

ARMS mount have the little pads that shield the rails, none of mine needed adjustment though I've seen a 19S loose on Meateater's receiver, and on mine too.  The pads are slightly annoying, they have to open up before the lever can be thrown in position.

My LaRue Aimpoint standard height mount was loose with longitudinal movements.  I tightened it until it wouldn't move anymore, then the lever was so tight I couldn't unmount it without inflicting pain in my fingers.  Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be mounted, alas my LaRue mount came with no manual, it was fun figuring out to tighten the bottom screws first, then top ones
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, mine have worn the anodizing.  Doesnt worry me in the least, because Ive seen ARMS mounts do it too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Enough to smudge the black, but not like its down to the bare shiny metal.   The levers are just enough tight to kind of make a "crunch" sound when pressed in.   And although I have them adjusted for a tight fit, I don't need a friggin' screwdriver to pry them open like some of the other company's products I've used needed.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#21]
All throw lever mounts wear the rails despite what some asshat might try to twell you to promote the sales of ARMS products.  Problem is the ARMS rails cant be adjusted and wear the reciever just as much.  If its a concern just hit the spot with some aluma black and remove about 90% of the shiney area.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have to ask, you don't want one.  

or any other thing that may mark your pretty receiver.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Black paint tends to rub off.

Paint???

I don't know where you buy your upper receivers, but all mine are hardcoat anodized.

And that's my point... the lever was cutting through the growth layer of the hardcoat in very short order, and I'm sure it  would have continued down to bare aluminum if given the chance.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
All throw lever mounts wear the rails despite what some asshat might try to twell you to promote the sales of ARMS products.  Problem is the ARMS rails cant be adjusted and wear the reciever just as much.  If its a concern just hit the spot with some aluma black and remove about 90% of the shiney area.

Posted by me...

First off (and it's a shame I even have to say this) don't turn this thread into an ARMS sucks/LaRue is great flame fest. Let's keep this discussion civil & unlocked folks!

Thanks for totally ignoring my wishes DevL... I really appreciate the respect.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]
What is the point of this post?  ALL mounts will wear eventually.  Your bolt will make some marks inside your upper if you shoot it enough too.  Aren't you the same guy that started a thread like this in the past about a LaRue marking your upper but could never produce the pics?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What is the point of this post?  ALL mounts will wear eventually.  Your bolt will make some marks inside your upper if you shoot it enough too.  Aren't you the same guy that started a thread like this in the past about a LaRue marking your upper but could never produce the pics?

Yes, you caught me... I'm instigating a diabolical conspiracy aganist LaRue!!!

It's a blood feud I tell ya!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Look.....  No LaRue stuff, but LOTS of wear!!!

[pic removed]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#30]

I keep a couple of upper receivers in reserve. They are disposable parts after all and easy to replace.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Well it looks like I committed the grand heresy of even questioning the superiority & perfection of LaRue's throw lever design.

I beg everyone's forgiveness & I give my solem oath that it will never happen again.

Wow... and I thought Colt owners were bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Well, the LaRue mount costs more than the receiver. What did you expect?

Now join in the " My AK is scratched thread " www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=75849
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well it looks like I committed the grand heresy of even questioning the superiority & perfection of LaRue's throw lever design.

I beg everyone's forgiveness & I give my solem oath that it will never happen again.

It has nothing to do with you bashing on LaRue.  It's the fact you started a thread you already knew the answer to.  I must sound like a broken record but, ALL mounts will wear/rub/mark your receiver period.  So why ask people to "be honest" when the answer is a given?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Relax.

The majority of posts say "Sure they leave some marks on the receiver, but it's no big deal."

I agree.

There's your answer, now go stock up on the mounts of your choice.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has nothing to do with you bashing on LaRue.  It's the fact you started a thread you already knew the answer to.  I must sound like a broken record but, ALL mounts will wear/rub/mark your receiver period.  So why ask people to "be honest" when the answer is a given?

I'll answer your question Grant, but only if you come out from behind your troll account!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Steel in contact with aluminum with enough tension (hopefully) that they dont move.  Which one do you think is going to give first?

Give me a break NYP.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'll answer your question Grant, but only if you come out from behind your troll account!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Steel in contact with aluminum with enough tension (hopefully) that they dont move.  Which one do you think is going to give first?

Give me a break NYP.

No Lumpy... give me a break.

I currently own & use two Aimpoint mounts (an ARMS & a PRI), and while it is true that both have left scuff or wear marks on my receivers, neither has produced the "gouging" that I saw & experienced with the LaRue mount in just a few installs & dismounts.

I'm just asking: why me? What did I do wrong that others have not?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#40]
No kidding NYP, you should never ask questions that you are genuinely curious about.  You should just know all answers to all questions at all times...  

GG&G Accucams don't tend to scratch or mark uppers.  They are a retractable bar system though, as opposed to a rotating lever.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No kidding NYP, you should never ask questions that you are genuinely curious about.  You should just know all answers to all questions at all times...  

GG&G Accucams don't tend to scratch or mark uppers.  They are a retractable bar system though, as opposed to a rotating lever.

GG&G is PIMP, YO!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#42]
ok.. somewhat,  but so what?  no big deal to me..
It's not  like our ARs will be pristine forever..

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
ok.. somewhat,  but so what?  no big deal to me..
It's not  like our ARs will be pristine forever..

You mean yours has scratches, smudges, smears and dents?  You didn't take it out of the shipping plastic did you, and if you did, PLEASE tell me you didn't take it outside or touch your bare hands to it.

ETA-sorry not trying to be a dick, just angrily avoiding studying for a test, and trying to joke around.

Airborne

ETA again...look at my post number; it's a shame we had to experience something that makes that number even stick out in our minds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#44]
ARMS or LaRue (and I have both)  all leave marks of some sort.  The best point I've seen here relates to just buying replacement stripped uppers if you value appearences.  The fucking price of these superific mounts is 50% more than the upper.  So, if you want a sturdy optics platform in a quick-detach construct, they're gonna leave marks/gouges/ whatever it takes to make the optic not move.

Oh yeah...my charging handle leaves marks, my brass leaves marks on the deflector, and the dog gone collapsible stock is marking up my buffer tube.  Everything is going to hell  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Gimme_A_Carbine
Well, you are coming across as a dick.
I have 9 ARs. Of which, 5 have optics mounted.
All LaRue mounts. And if you remove your optics frequently
you increase the chance of wear marks, scratches and smudges.
As my 5 favorite rifles have. GG&G, LaRue ARMS etc given time
will leave marks if repeatedly removed-replaced.
Your belittling: "You didn't take it out of the shipping plastic did you, and if you did,
PLEASE tell me you didn't take it outside or touch your bare hands to it
"
reflects more upon you, than I.
My original reply to this thread was constructive,
ARs that are used, will be succeptable to finish wear.
Understood?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I was going to ask this question, is the GG&G mount made of alumium?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes
http://www.gggaz.com/products/aimpoint_cantilever_ring.php

myit
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Everything you mount on a rail will wear the anodizing. Railpanels (even ones that are 100% polymer) and vertical grips will even do it.

So, to answer you question, yes the LaRue rings leave wearmarks. No worse than LMT or Troy BUIS, ARMS or Aimpoint factory mounts, KAC rail panels, or Surefire thumbscrews. Honestly, my sling wears on my sling loop almost as much.

But then again if you look at my personal AR, it'd be hard for me to name what device made what scratch, ding, wear mark, or whatever.

If the marks that LaRue (or any other) mounts make bother you, then you should be appalled by the brass marks and "wear" on your shell deflector and the wear on your lower from the ejection port cover.

God forbid your rifle ever hit a doorframe when clearing a room, or that you ever have to clear a spent casing by striking the buttstock on the ground.

No offense intended.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#50]
mine has and maybe cause im lucky but none of my arms mounts did this

except for when i tried to mount the arms stuff to my beowulf upper. wouldnt even fit though
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top