Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:31:07 PM EDT
    I have a Bushy 16 inch A-3 and the standard front sight isnt tall enough. Bushmaster sells the "taller" front sight but only in standard width. Does anyone know if there are thinner width sight posts avaliable that are of the taller variety????
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Ya I would like to know this as well.  I like the round posts myself and my square front post is almost falling out.   I am going to call bushmaster to send me the .040" taller one.

I haven't been able to find anything online, guess you have to file them down yourself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]

I haven't looked that hard but I haven't seen that anyone has a taller front sight post other than Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#3]
found this link but still not what I am looking for.
www.gunaccessories.com/AR15-M16Parts/FrontSightsandPosts.asp
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I had to order a taller front sight for the back up iron sights I purchased for my Ar10.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Just call BM and tell them that you are having problems with the sight (A3 model, not using the carry handle and can't zero) and they will send you a taller post.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well phooey,,,,I was hopin for a quick and easy. The taller front posts that Bushy sells are standard width and on a 16 inch barrell, they are too fat for me. I have considered filing but that is a less than precise operation in my hands.....Thanks for the replies fellas...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]

I've never tried it or seen it done but what if...

...rather than filing the post to a point you filed a groove in the center of the post and used the notch for sighting.  You could use the whole post for close-in quick shots and the groove for long distance accuracy...

...just thinking out loud...I don't have my flame suit on...please be merciful.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Bjwar,
    That is actually not a bad idea. I was kinda considering it after looking at Jackel's post, the XS sights in the webpage he posted are .080 wide with a vertical white .030 stripe. It may be something I will try if my quest for a tall and thin post fails........
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]
They also have tritium night sights available too.  Basically a green glow around a white stripe.

I am still with you though, a thiner front post would be better.  At least for me it would cut down on going cross-eyed.

Here is something neat.  How about these.  The thinest is .050 with a .020 red dot.

www.mountsplus.com/thestore/17_SIGHTS_GAS_BLOCKS.html  ... not extra high though.

Or how about this:  Click on accuracy enhancement and look at the front post:
www.highpowerrifle.com/
maybe you can call and ask if they can thin down a .040" taller post to your specification and they will send it to you.  Worth a shot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top