Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 7:52:24 PM EDT
hippie.gif

would like any info on mounting a scope on my ar. also anyone know anything about sportsman's guide  -guide-gear scopes  they have a 3x12x56mm sope on sale for 70.00 bucks was also considering a tasco 3x9x50.  forgot to mention that this will be mounted on the carry handle??? all i read about is eotech-aimpoint an acog but man there just not in the buget. so i would like anything positive you could tell me about doing this. thank's for any an all helpfull hint's
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure about the scope in the Sportsmans Guide, but the Tasco's will do if you are on a limited budget. When dealing with scopes, as with anything, you get what you pay for. It is my advice to spend the most you can afford on a scope as it will last longer and be of better optical quality.

To mount a scope on the carry handle you should go with an A.R.M.S. mount. These are not cheap either, but they are the best mounts out there. One thing you will find is that you will also need to add a raised cheekpiece to compensate for the higher plane of the scope off of the stock.

This is a pic of my HBAR with a collapsible stock and a carry handle mounted Tasco rubber armored scope. The mount is an A.R.M.S. :

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]
[8P

thank's for the info. appreciate the reply an your knowlage on the subject.hippie.gifhippie.gif
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have some helpful hints...not the least of which is don't use apostrophes incorrectly

The big drawback to mounting on the carry handle is that the scope sits up very high over the bore, and eye relief will be a problem, depending on the length of your scope.  Higher power variables will be in the neighborhood of 12" long (for starters), and much of that length will be aft of the adjustments...putting the eye of the scope out over the buttstock.  Add another 3" or so for a standard amount of eye relief (how far back your eye needs to be from the lens to get the full field of view), and you'll end up with your face way back on the stock.  

To get around that, look at shorter scopes, and stay away from scopes that need 4" or more of eye relief.  

You won't have too much to choose from given your budget, but you can at least compare these factors as you shop.  

Sightron makes a 3x9x40 mil dot scope that Midway has for $109.  It is the best "cheap" scope I've ever bought....VERY clear glass, it's bright, and the clicks are very positive.  It's a tad more than your $70, but I can tell you without a doubt that "made in Japan" scopes are better than "made in China" scopes, and in this case, I think the extra $40 will be well worth it.  It wouldn't be my first choice for a carry handle mounted scope, though.

I'd concentrate on shorter, lower power variables in the 1.x-4/5 range.  In your price range, several folks here have gotten the Simmons Pro Diamond shotgun scopes, and seemed pleased with them.  They're around $60, aren't too long, and don't weigh too much.  I have a Simmons 8 Point 1.5x5, and I've played around with it on the one A2 upper I have.  

The old Colt 4x scopes would be perfect, since they are designed to to on the carry handle, but they're too much money.  I've seen Hakko knock offs of these, but they're in the $170 price range.  

BTW, there are cheaper mounts out there than the ARMS...not as good, but I figured I'd mention it.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]

I won't rant about cheap optics and how they end up costing more in the long run but I will say that the reason the ARMS carry handle mounts are more expensive is that they will stay in place.  Most of the cheap ones have no locking mechanism and will come loose with repeated firing.  This will drive you crazy if you have to tighten it and re-zero every five rounds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
hippie.gifhippie.gif

so very sorry for using the apostrophes in the incorrect places. thank god there are picky a**holes like you to point this out. thank you very much mr. perfect.

hippie.gifhippie.gifhippie.gif
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top