Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 7:23:42 PM EDT
Is there any possible way to keep these damn things on an optic? Shooting a lot and in the sun seems to loosen them up, and I'd really rather not tape them on... But I guess that's better than losing them again.

I'm at the point to where I'm about to go back to the factory bikini covers, it's just driving me nuts.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Try sticking some tape on the inside rim of the cap. This will tighten the fit between the cap and the scope.

I've done that, and I've also just put electrical tape around the scope eye and objective as well...that seems to work better for me.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
the blizzard (transparent) kind seem to stay on much better.
I've lost the regular ones before but blizzard kind have stayed for about 18 months now.
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thx much guys, I'll see what works out best. If that doesn't work, I think I might just end up using some rigger's tape and tape the damn things on.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
What's wrong with tape?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
or get a size meant for the scope? or smaller size

i have never had any problems with any flip ups coming off but all of them were a b!tch to install and dont come off very easy.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Tape on the inside of the cap works, as was already said.  

And, a scope cap on adjustable rear objetives (magnifiaction) sucks.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
or get a size meant for the scope? or smaller size

i have never had any problems with any flip ups coming off but all of them were a b!tch to install and dont come off very easy.

I'm with eklikwhoa. I have Butler Creek flipups on close to a dozen scopes. Some of the weapons they are on are big in the recoil department. I have carried them up mountains for a week at time when elk hunting. Some of the weapons have a bazillion rounds down the tubes. It gets hot in Kansas, so I shoot in the heat too.

I have had zero problems.

My last scope uses the new Leupold screw in flipups, so I guess I'll never have to worry about them.

But, since you are having troubles, a little piece of tape might cure it. That seams like a good way to go.

viator
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
It's the size recommended by the factory, and Zak's picture looks like what's about to happen to mine.

-Cap'n

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Taped it up tighter than a bug's butt. Shot a lot today, but it was in the rain. No problems though.

Problem solved!

After seeing Zak's pics of the taped USO, I don't feel so bad about taping my optics up anymore
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to secure them right- do what Zak shows with the 100mph.
If you use electrical tape and you want it to stay and not peel up, do this.
After you wrap it a FEW times, cut the tape with a knife or scissors, and then LET GO of the cut "tail" and let it shrink back until it stops, then stick it down. Seawater wont even kill that bitch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you want to secure them right- do what Zak shows with the 100mph.
If you use electrical tape and you want it to stay and not peel up, do this.
After you wrap it a FEW times, cut the tape with a knife or scissors, and then LET GO of the cut "tail" and let it shrink back until it stops, then stick it down. Seawater wont even kill that bitch.

Exactly how I do the BC caps on my Surefires

To give you some idea of how often I have used tape to band-aid gear in the past, one of my nicknames is "100 MPH man." They don't call me that because I'm high speed, hehe.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top