Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 6:05:29 PM EDT
Has anyone used a trijicon reflex and can attest to how well they work and where the best place to mount them is?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine, but I don't use it for anything other than plinking.  There are issues with the reticle washing out in bright light.  If using a white-light (like a mounted surefire) it will washout the reticle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
They are quite underrated in my opinion.  No batteries to worry about, day or night.  Reticle is good for CQB or out to around 200 yards in my experience, if sighted in properly.  Built like a bank vault, you can't hurt 'em.  Not as in vogue right now as the EOtech or Aimpoint but they are a no-nonsense, combat worthy optic IMHO.  

Yes they have their limitations, but so do all optics.  Pick your poison, the perfect CQ optic just doesn't exist yet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If I don't trade my SAR-1 for a Mossberg with a Surefire, I'm selling it to buy a Reflex.

My local dealer let me slap one on my M4 and run around the store and outside with it. Tried everything that was supposed to wash it out, and no worries. I really really liked it. Some people don't.  I agree with Duke that it gets a lot of shit because it isn't in vogue. Then again, I remember when Aimpoint was God Come Again in Scope Form and the EOTech wasn't much cared for.

Try it out. If you like it, get it. I am. I especially like the simplicity and no batteries at all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one and did not care for it. It washed easy at twilight and against certain colors. I hate how they darken the lens to make the rectical standout. It makes targets harder to see.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought an RX-09 for one of my FAL's but after using it for two months it was reduced to 10/22 use only.  The problem for me is that my phoria is too large and my right eye is strongly dominant.  I'm an eye doc so I knew I might have a problem with the sight.

I now have a TA44-4 on my main FAL.  It is perfect.  I'm going to get a TA11E as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anybody know who stocks Reflex II's? None of our dealers seem to carry them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is going back for replacement of the tritium dot. I like my AimPoint better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like my relex.  So far,  I have not had any of the aforementioned problems and think that the "no battery" feature is a plus.  I have enough items that run off of 3 volt lithiums and other batteries and right now, I don't need another.  I have looked at the Aimpoints and just recently looked at a EOTECH mounted on an M4 that our ERT team uses.  It seemed like a really nice choice also and I seemed to like it really well.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Eotech myfriend! try the Eotech
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#11]
You know, I'm starting to think that many of the "problems" with the Reflex type are user related. Just like some people, like myself, can't see an EOTech retitcle worth a damn, or some people don't like the Aimpoint.

In other words, one size doesn't fit all, and go with what works for you. If the Reflex washes out for you, get rid of it. If it doesn't, keep it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You know, I'm starting to think that many of the "problems" with the Reflex type are user related. Just like some people, like myself, can't see an EOTech retitcle worth a damn, or some people don't like the Aimpoint.

In other words, one size doesn't fit all, and go with what works for you. If the Reflex washes out for you, get rid of it. If it doesn't, keep it.

Exactly, a lot of it is going to be personal preference but a lot of it is going to be what best suits you and your needs physically and professionally, if that's the case.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Spade, that's exactly my point.  Every optic has its advantages and disadvantages.  I've used Aimpoints before and I currently use an EOtech and love it.  Its great for limited use under known, controlled conditions, like competition.  You turn the battery on, adjust the brightness, and you're good to go as long as your battery is fresh.  If I was going into and out of dark rooms and bright rooms and wanted a big bright reticle for room clearing, the EOtech would be my choice.  From a law enforcement SWAT standpoint it makes alot of sense because you know when there is going to be action and you generally have time to gear up for it to a certain extent.  If I was a soldier in the field and wasn't sure when my batteries would be resupplied, if I had to react instantly to an ambush situation without having to activate my optics or adjust their brightness depending on what time of day the bad guys decided to ambush me, if I wanted a home defense gun that I could grab, aim and shoot without having to pause to activate my doodad sight, then the Trijicon looks alot more useful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
On the first AR15 I owned I had the NSN model reflex with the 4 (?) MOA dot. I really liked it and never experienced any washout what so ever. It was built like a bank vault and I didn't have to worry about batteries. The filter attachment was also nice becuase you could adjust light transmission on the dot. You could get it so dark that if you were looking at a street light you could see the filament inside. Unfortuantely, it was sold along with the rifle about 4 years ago
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, the NSN model Reflex is what I have.  Again, I am really pleased with it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys, how do I tell the difference between the various reflexes?

Guy's got one in the EE, a RX01. Is this the most advanced version available? Etc.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to the trijicon site and download the pdf. They have about 25 models listed.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top