Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 4:45:52 PM EDT
Could someone please explain the purpose of the circle surrounding the dot in the Eotech picture?

I notice that it marked by ticks at 3, 6, 9, and 12.

Thanks,

Bill
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience with it:  faster on-target acquisition and easier to hit moving stuff.  I can only use it to lead sideways moving stuff so far.  Buy my friend actually uses it for shooting clays on his benelli.  He says that it helps him with leading the target.  I never tried it for clays, but maybe I will when I get back home.  The only annoying thing is when it starts to go double-circle when I tilt my glasses a certain way.  I hear that the ACOG and Aimpoint do not do that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
One other advantage of hte EOtech is that when the dot is zeroed at 25 or 50 meters and you are shooting up close and personal the bottom tic is pretty close to the POI.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Our team uses the eo-tech's on our AR's. We like it because at close distances you can just bracket the threat inside the circle and your good to go. For more precise shots or at distance we use the dot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Found out about the lower tick mark being about the right POI for 25 yds today, when I saw a group of holes clustering around it just below the bulls eye.  

My first trip to the range with the sight mounted for co-witness of my iron sights.  (Made sighting in a breeze, just adjust until the red dot is perched right on top of the front post when taking normal aim.

Armed with this knowledge I can now use the bottom tick mark for better shot placement on close targets during three gun matches, and still use the center dot for longer range challenges.  My sight is a poorman's EOTech, I use a Bushnell HOLOsight.  I couldn't pass on the price though, as it was a gift, and when I get right down to it I don't really need a roll bar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And I presume a 6 foot man would fit between the dot and top or bottom edge of the circle at 200m.

Most likely so, but I have not tried it.

C4

The guy just wouldn't stand still while you were aiming at him, huh?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Use the 65MOA circle for speed shooting center mass out to 25YDS and it can be used as a ranging tool (6ft Man fits inside the circle @ 100yds).

C4

Wouldn't it be a 5'8" man?  65 MOA = 68 inches @ 100 yds

I don't think the range estimating capabilities of the reticle matter anyway.  The 5.56 trajectory is flat enough that differences between POA and POI are essentially negligible at the ranges you might use the reticle in this manner.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top